Aluminum intake— Factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum intake— Factory?

I recently bought another Hawk to restore, a ‘61. Numbers matching 289, but has a stock appearing aluminum intake manifold, AFB style. Has the firing order cast onto it in the normal place, and what appears to be a Studebaker part number cast in also, on the top of the LR runner. 1558691 or 1558591 hard to tell if its a 6 or a 5 in 5th position. No, it’s not just painted silver, it is in fact aluminum. No other writing or numbers on it. What is it from? Anybody seen one? Oh— and just for fun, here’s a shot of the new Hawk arriving at our place Click image for larger version

Name:	0AC5FF86-5C57-48B0-B7AA-F1E2226DE1E8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1760623
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Nice Hawk Kenny! That is the first time i have ever seen an enclosed Trailer that opens on the side!

Should I start gathering the Engine, Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rebuild Kits?

An Aluminum Intake must be be a Lionel Stone or other reproduction unless it turns out to have R3 Heads to go with an R3/4 Intake!

UPDATE: None of the 4 Avanti Intake Manifolds have a Part Number starting with 1558XXX so it is unlikely that Casting number is an R3 or R4, but certainly not proof positive of anything.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-06-2019, 10:37 PM. Reason: Part Number Check of 1558 5 or 6 91
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If it is indeed a factory part, it would be rare or one of a kind. My first thought was that it was painted aluminum. I had a man many years ago try to tell me the engine in his T cab was aluminum because it was painted silver. You have enough Studes that your probably have a better idea of what you are looking at.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Like most other things of this sort...a photograph...would go a "long" way in helping you in figuring out what you may have for an intake manifold..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Nice Hawk Kenny! That is the first time i have ever seen an enclosed Trailer that opens on the side!

Should I start gathering the Engine, Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rebuild Kits?

An Aluminum Intake must be be a Lionel Stone or other reproduction unless it turns out to have R3 Heads to go with an R3/4 Intake!

UPDATE: None of the 4 Avanti Intake Manifolds have a Part Number starting with 1558XXX so it is unlikely that Casting number is an R3 or R4, but certainly not proof positive of anything.
          A lot of higher end new cars are delivered in trailers with soft sides. This still protects the cars from weather, vandals, Etc.
          Try sticky a magnet to the intake.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            A lot of higher end new cars are delivered in trailers with soft sides. This still protects the cars from weather, vandals, Etc.
            Try sticky a magnet to the intake.
            Guys— it IS aluminum. Absolutely for sure. Magnet won’t stick, weighs half as much as a cast iron one Which I have several of. Previous owner had it painted super-glossy Silver, so if I post a picture, that’s the first thing y’all will say: “Well, it’s just painted silver” which is why I didn’t post a picture
            Ok, Ok, I’ll try to post a picture. But please be assured, IT IS ALUMINUM.
            1951 Commander Starlight
            1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
            1953 Champion Starlight
            1953 Commander Starliner
            1953 2R5
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1957 3E5 Pick-Up
            1959 Silver Hawk
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Cruiser 4 speed
            1963 Daytona Convertible
            1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
            1965 Cruiser
            1970 Avanti

Comment

Just measure the Height of an Intake Port.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                Guys— it IS aluminum. Absolutely for sure. Magnet won’t stick, weighs half as much as a cast iron one Which I have several of. Previous owner had it painted super-glossy Silver, so if I post a picture, that’s the first thing y’all will say: “Well, it’s just painted silver” which is why I didn’t post a picture
                Ok, Ok, I’ll try to post a picture. But please be assured, IT IS ALUMINUM.
                Kenny,
                I have both original R3 and repro manifolds to compare it to.
                They are definitely noticeable when you lift them, even if painted.

James
                Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
                Bellingham, WA.

Comment

Aluminum AFB intake

If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end (top), it is the aluminum intake made by Lionel Stone. If there is a "2" its either an R3 or R4 aluminum intake (bottom).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1728355Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2816.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1728356

Comment

"If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end..."

Here I am, still learning something new!
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                      If the firing order is missing the "2" at the end (top), it is the aluminum intake made by Lionel Stone. If there is a "2" its either an R3 or R4 aluminum intake (bottom).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81676[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81678[/ATTACH]
                      Well! You just took me to school! That is so fascinating I actually had to get out of bed, go out to the shop, and look. Sure enough... missing the “2”. So I have a reproduction, which is fine with me. Now I’ll have to remove it and see what the ports look like. Unless, of course, you can tell me and save all the trouble...
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

I wish these were more available....along with aluminum water manifolds.....I'd love to get some weight off the front springs.
                        MikeSal

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                          I wish these were more available....along with aluminum water manifolds.....I'd love to get some weight off the front springs.
                          MikeSal
                          Jeff Rice makes aluminum intakes and 3x2stude make aluminum adapter plates to use Chevy aluminum manifolds. Probably tough to find an aluminum water manifold but aluminum radiators are readily available. Bob

Comment

Working...
                          X