51 Commander still a few issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 Commander still a few issues

As some know I have been trying everything to get this car running correctly. Just when I think I have it fixed and it seems to run well a another or same problem rears its ugly head.

I have the engine running well and transmission does not die when stopped and in gear. (still slips a bit between 2nd and third, but will tackle that later). The problem is when the car gets to standard temp with it being 100 degrees today it starts to strutter at idle when stopped in gear. It almost died because the rpms got so low. So a couple of questions. Could the transmission still need to be adjusted a bit more so it does not kill it? When the temps are cooler it still does this but just a little hiccup feel. Possible vapor lock? I changed the metal line into the carb to a rubber one. It still feels very hot. Kicked on electric fuel pump backup and it did not change anything.

I had the metal line wrapped in rubber before.

I have a running 289 and DG250 I could put in it. I was just keeping it numbers matching. But getting weary.

I know the transmission in the pic is a three speed. I have the DG250 off engine right now.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport
Working...
X