LOIS the Lark - The start of a love story (restoration)the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOIS the Lark - The start of a love story (restoration)the

So Lois is about to get parked up and the resto started. I have been wanting to start for the past few mth’s but have been waiting for the production order to arrive. It did today so now I know a lot more about her. She is matching numbers. Yay

Shipping Via TA Walker D&M mixing rule.
    Destination SAN Diego, California.

So the details:-
    • Final build 10th December 1958.
    • 59V K6 Reg 8 Cyl 2 Door Hardtop.
    • P5911 White Sand.
    • 759A RDV 5 was (Red Vinyl Interior I think).
    • Flight O Matic.
    • Reclining Front Seat.
    • White Sidewalls.
    • Oil Filter.
    • Wet Air Cleaner.
    • Undercoating. (Not sure what this means).
    • AC-2958 Clima (Not sure what this means).
    • AC-2953 Cigar (Cigarette Lighter).
    • XAC-2937 Wheel (Wheel covers installed by dealer I believe) I have on the car.
    • AC-2951 Back (Not sure what this means).
    • AC-2941F Bump (Front Bumper).
    • AC-2941R Bump (Rear Bumper).
    • AC-2906 Radio (AM Radio).
    • XAC-2688 Anten (Not sure as we have an Antenna).

I will keep updating this post with in progress photo’s and words detailing the journey. Watch, comment, lurk, I do not mind, Post suggestions, idea’s or just support.

Wayne
    sigpic

Wayne Harper
    1959 Lark VIII Hardtop Regal

Undercoating means the underneath of the car was sprayed with some type of protective coating as a barrier between the car and what gets thrown up underneath a vehicle in daily life.

AC--2958 Clima probably means Lois was built with the climatizer underseat heater/demister.
    AC-2951 Back is probably backup lights, standard today, but optional back then.

Good luck with the restoration.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

She looks like a great resto project! Before you start, be sure that you have a good plan, and a suitcase full of cash, so that you don't get stalled in the middle of the job. Looking forward to progress reports, and photos. I have a 61 hardtop Lark, with about the same equipment. It is waiting for a resto, but there are several in front of it. Good Luck!
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Great Car!

The following are the "bumperettes" on the front and rear bumper
        • AC-2941F Bump (Front Bumper).
        • AC-2941R Bump (Rear Bumper).

You have a lot of options on that car!

Oil filter is a big deal, even though it is only a partial flow.

Other options that were available are:
        Front and rear speaker for the radio
        Clock in the dash
        Windshield washers (bag under the hood and foot pump on the floor)
        Power Steering

I have a 59 2DHTP that I've had for 38 years. It was born in Feb 1959 and is the Seamist Green.

Welcome to the club!
        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

AC 2941 - bumper guards
          AC 2688 - internal controlled antenna
          AC 2951 - Back up lights, as stated.
          Climatizer is heater and defroster.

Comment

The "X" AC-xxxx items on all Production Orders means: "Loose in the Trunk, for Dealer Installation". Both your Internal Control (Crank-up) Antenna and Wheel Covers were in the Trunk so as to not be damaged, lost or stolen during Train and Truck Shipment to Calif.

This was probably a Dealer Ordered Car not a Customer Ordered Car, possibly for Showroom Display due to being LOADED with Accessories.
            One reason not to drill holes and do complicated Installs at the Factory other than the obvious Line Slowing to do that, is that when the Car is selling the Buyer MAY cheap out on the most expensive Antenna and opt for the Standard non-crank up up and then it would require a Remove and Install on any item like this and mirrors etc. that the Factory COULD have installed, but usually did not unless of course the Car was being Factory Delivered.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello All,
              Where can we still obtain the production order even if it is an Australian car?

Comment

All available production orders are available from the museum in South Bend, but please be aware that there will be entries such as omit carpet,seats,heater etc, as these were Aussie installed items to reduce the import duty, and were removed from the vehicle when it was stripped down for the CKD (completely knocked down) shipping crate.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Rapps View Post
                  Hello All,
                  Where can we still obtain the production order even if it is an Australian car?
                  Here is the link to get your Production Order
                  Dive into the history of your vehicle with a Studebaker production order. Learn more about your vehicle's original configuration so that your restoration projects proceeds in perfect order!

Comment

than kyou all so much. it all ads to the interest

Comment

Well Day 1: has started better than I expected, drove Lois down to the beach house, this where all the work will be completed. So I have listened to all the advice and read many posts so have decided to do it project by project. The first project will be the trunk / boot (we call them boots down under).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Trunk.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1728211

So off came the trunk lid and exposed not to bad a look inside, a bit of surface rust but no real rot. The real problem was the jigsaw of a trunk divider / liner but I am sure we will come up with a solution.

Name:	Trunk Liner.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1728212

While in there l wanted to what might have been under the rear set so out it came and thankfully again no rot.

Name:	Inside the rear.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1728213

So I continue to look for the drama, there always is some somewhere and bingo found it in the trunk lid. A little cancer in the right hand corner. The drama now to neutralise the rust inside the trunk lid and fix the cancer. (More to come on this next week).

Name:	Top Trunk Lid.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1728214 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk Rust Bottom.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1728215

So I have removed the trunk and started to clean up the edges to truely understand how bad the rot really is.

Name:	Trunk Work.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1728216 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk Trim.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1728217 Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk Lock Mounts.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1728218 Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_045447646_iOS.jpg
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1728219

So if anyone has any great ideas on how to treat the rust on the inside of the trunk lid please me know. I am going to strip all the rubbers off next weekend and continue to uncover. If no one can give me a great DIY way of treating the rust I will get it acid dipped.

As always comments and thoughts appreciated if publicly or privately.
                      sigpic

Wayne Harper
                      1959 Lark VIII Hardtop Regal

Comment

Sound proofing kits https://www.quietride.com/web/viewer...er_catalog.pdf

Comment

My trunk lid (60 Hawk) had some rust on the inside, down into the sanwiched outer edges. Nothing could be repaired from the outside, so I poured rust converter into the inside, and let it soak on each edge for a day or so. After that I cleaned up the excess, and epoxy primed the entire thing. Not a perfect solution, but I'm hoping it will buy it a few years before having to replace it.
                          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                          X