1950 Champion Convertible body is off the frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Champion Convertible body is off the frame

Spent the last week getting everything ready and plans changed daily, if not hourly, as more structural problems were found. Removed the entire trunk due to major rust and the PO had scabbed on another trunk surround that just wasn't going to fly. Will be cutting out part of the firewall, trans tunnel, floors and replacing them with the parts from a 64 Daytona, including the trunk floor and wheel wells. This way the entire floor and trunk bolt right back to the frame, just like Studebaker designed it. Will build custom torque boxes to strengthen the body and then set the everything onto the 64 Daytona frame with 289 and Flightomatic. Frame will get a custom X member unless I can find an original at a fair price.

Studebaker never made a Retrobaker, but I am. Iconic bullet nose convertible with the latest Studebaker mechanical engineering.

This car was so far gone and so many parts missing that a restoration would have been a major money pit. This way it's all Studebaker with a few upgrades and creature comforts that will pass as a 1950 Champion to most, but run and drive like a 64.

Those that don't know, won't know and those that do know and care, just don't need to go for a ride in it.

Probably won't get much more done until fall/winter because this kid doesn't hang around Phoenix in the delightful summers anymore. Will plan on being in Mansfield in Sept with the 66 Daytona.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Good luck with your build. Sounds like you’re going to have a nice ride.

Comment

I took an X member out of an old Wagonaire frame a long time ago. It was really, really heavy. Probably better than half the weight of an entire normal frame. There is a Wagonaire parts car here that belongs to out chapter, but i would have to strip it right down to obtain the X-member. I think you would be wise to go with a custom fabricated tubular X-member, maybe made from 2 inch by 4 inch rectangular steel tubing.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hey ken, I am doing a similar thing except my shell is really nice so I am modifying the frame and not the body but intend to run a later crossmember with the later frontend and rearend.
        I purchased that 50 Bullet Convertible that was advertised on ebay for ages out of Scottsdale early this year. Do you recall seeing the car ? I crunched the guy and won it cheap.

Brian.
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies and suggestions on the X member. I'm leaning towards the custom made one also.

The early frame is mostly straight and 41" wide, which would make the torque boxes pretty easy to build.
          The 64 frame is much different, zigging and zagging back and forth and actually narrower in most places, but the widest dimension is still only 41".

My idea is to use the frames curves and angles to increase the strength of the torque boxes, much like adding a crease in sheet metal stiffens it.
          The car went from a restore/repair to a full blown challenge to save it once I tore it down. As many 1947-52 Studebakers that were built and as popular as the bullet nose cars are, very few repair panels are available. Floors and are about all I have seen.

Oh well, if it were easy everyone would do it.

Pretty sure I will be scrounging around the Mansfield swap meet for parts and ideas at the International.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
          X