2R-Series - Windlace Photos Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2R-Series - Windlace Photos Help

I could use a bit of help... I'm about to start putting a brand new interior (Ernie Loga) into my 1953 truck and I'm looking for photos of the windlace that's fitted to the 2R-Series. Ideally, I think I'd find it helpful to interior photos (if anyone has them) to help me see / understand how it is tacked into the truck... very different from my 56 Golden Hawk! Any pics and help greatly appreciated, thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190504_220759.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1760552
    Richard
    sigpic

Originally posted by packard352 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81112[/ATTACH]
    I gotta get me a laptop. This old CRT is getting too heavy for this 76 year old to pick up and hold it side ways to view the pix.
    Can't someone do something about the pix posting wrong?
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

You mean like this?
      Attached Files
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Know what you mean...

The pic on my computer was in the portrait position, yet when it loaded on to the forum, it was landscape.

I spent 5 minutes looking for a tool so I could rotate the picture left or right, which I couldn’t locate and I wasn’t going to waste time on something I couldn’t see I was able to fix.

So my apologies...but not a lot I could do about the photo loading
        Richard
        sigpic

Comment

Back to the "Windlace".
          On my Transtar "C" Cab I believe the Original "Windlace" was actually non-existent.

There was a 1/4" Vinyl "Hem" on the edge of Cardboard around the Door and that's IT!
          The Fiber strip around the Door, is used to fasten the Cardboard Headliner pieces to the Roof.

This is a very original 1962 Model, so maybe somewhere between 1949 and 1964 that was changed?
          Either that, or we are now improving on the Original Design by adding it?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Know what you mean...

The pic on my computer was in the portrait position, yet when it loaded on to the forum, it was landscape.

I spent 5 minutes looking for a tool so I could rotate the picture left or right, which I couldn’t locate and I wasn’t going to waste time on something I couldn’t see I was able to fix.

So my apologies...but not a lot I could do about the photo loading
            No problem Richard. That was just my lame attempt at humor. A lot of us have the problem with pictures loading sideways.
            Jerry Forrester
            Forrester's Chrome
            Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Funny how the Sideways Pics NEVER happen to those who use a "REAL" PC Computer!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

My pickup came to me with windlace, but it does not look right. I was thinking of removing it, but would it look unfinished?
                BTW I always download my pictures to my computer, make the adjustments, and then post them. I have only had a picture rotate one time and I never did find out why. I finally deleted that post and did it over and everything was fine.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I am not gonna assert that all C-cabs came with windlace, but all I've seen have had it -- or its remains. I now own a 3R6 and a 4E40 and both had/have it. Trucks that were stored indoors are much more likely to have any windlace remaining. I have several complete pieces of the OEM windlace from several 3Rs, and N&A/SI used to sell a very close facsimile of it, black in color. Normally we could rely on the parts book to settle such debates, but Studebaker didn't include a lot of soft interior parts in its parts books. Instead, they put them in a separate upholstery parts book that apparently was not distributed widely. N&A used to have a copy, and I assume SI has it now.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                    Can't someone do something about the pix posting wrong?
                    Off topic, but... this is not a Forum issue. It is a photograph issue.

Smartphone cameras embed a tag into the file that notes the orientation of the device when the photo was taken, so that it always displays correctly on the device on which it was taken. When the photo is uploaded directly to a website or even to your computer, the orientation tag is ignored.

The solution if you are using a smartphone camera is to first save your photo to your computer, then use the built-in image tools (for Windows, Paint or Image Preview) to rotate the pic to the proper orientation and save it before uploading.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      I am not gonna assert that all C-cabs came with windlace, but all I've seen have had it -- or its remains. I now own a 3R6 and a 4E40 and both had/have it. Trucks that were stored indoors are much more likely to have any windlace remaining. I have several complete pieces of the OEM windlace from several 3Rs, and N&A/SI used to sell a very close facsimile of it, black in color. Normally we could rely on the parts book to settle such debates, but Studebaker didn't include a lot of soft interior parts in its parts books. Instead, they put them in a separate upholstery parts book that apparently was not distributed widely. N&A used to have a copy, and I assume SI has it now.
                      GEE! Skip, I was waiting for your to post in this thread before commenting. 'Cause I thought you would probably give the definitive answer. For some reason (certainly not definitive from me), I have always thought windlace for C cabs stopped with the E-series 1955 and newer? Again, I don't recall the source of that "thought," but when I purchased my truck (1955) in 1975, it was still sporting its original spare tire, soft top Willard battery, and single factory tail light. The original cardboard headliner was gone, but no sign it had ever had windlace. I replaced the headliner but never even considered windlace. My best attempt to confirm this was to resort to unwrapping the framed two sided large 1955 showroom brochure for trucks. It shows a couple of interior pictures but nothing detailed enough to reveal if there is windlace.

So...for someone to give us a possible credible resolution????...where are you Richard Quinn?
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry I failed you John. A clue might exist, if the tack strip is still there: look for many small holes, especially around the top corners. The aluminum trim strips and the cardboard headliner/interior pieces were attached with sheet metal screws, which make noticeably larger holes in the tack strip. Number 3 carpet tacks make tiny holes.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

I've just posted in the 'wants' ad section on the forum....

I'm needing the following items:

Interior
                          Interior aluminium fixing strip above the passenger and driver's door (see photo for reference)
                          Interior rear view mirror and bracket (my truck is split screen)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior fixing strip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1728162

In case anyone is able to help.

Thanks,
                          Richard
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Richard: since your truck is a 2R, you also need the straight pieces of aluminum trim that run down the windlace at the front edge of the door openings. I might have a spare set of trim strips, but won't be able to look for them until later this week. Here are a pair of the curved pieces (not mine). If I have them, I'll let you have them for less than that.

BTW, the truck mirror and arm are the same as the early 50s cars. But the bracket that screws into the divider bar is unique to the trucks.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Hi Skip,

Thanks for the link, but I'm happy enough to hear back from you later when you've had a chance to see what you may have.
                              Richard
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X