A Little Progress on the 37 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Progress on the 37 Coupe

I dropped by my friends place to check on progress of the rear end.
    We're using a F*rd Explorer 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 posi and disc brakes.
    Here's the unit set up in a 4 link system.
    Now on to the "Tubs" to fit fatter tires when I go with the fenders back on the car. But that may be awhile. I really like the no fender look right now.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5085.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1760543Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5084.jpg
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1760544
    sals54

Looking good Sal...but tubs...what are tubs??? we don't no stinkin tubs, this here thang is a hot rod! small back-spacing and tall pie-crusts are on the menu today. lol exterior photos? cheers, junior

ps, how is the pancaked-roof wagon coming along?
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm sure that down the road you will be glad that you have the rear ride height adjustable. Looks good.
      Bill

Comment

Got the 37 Coupe back from my friends place.
        Engine mounts and trans mounts are done.
        It now has Wilwood master cylinder mounted with pedal.
        Steering is set up, but still needs "tuning". In other words, the rack n pinion still needs tweaking for alignment and the upper and lower control arms will be replaced with tubular. And the spindles will be swapped out with 2" dropped.
        The mini tubs are set up and welded in. This way I can add the larger tires in the rear when, (or if) I put the fenders back on.
        The floors are are welded in.
        Now it's off to the races to get this hog running for some Summer driving.
        I started mocking up the front sheetmetal this evening.
        My friend Steve and I were pondering on how to slim and trim the running boards for when they go back on too. We're imagining a "coke bottle" shape, borrowing from the Avanti.
        I'll try to post pix tomorrow.
        Last edited by sals54; 05-31-2019, 09:26 PM.
        sals54

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
          Looking good Sal...but tubs...what are tubs??? we don't no stinkin tubs, this here thang is a hot rod! small back-spacing and tall pie-crusts are on the menu today. lol exterior photos? cheers, junior

ps, how is the pancaked-roof wagon coming along?
          BTW, the pancaked roof wagon is still alive. It got relegated to the back burner cuz of the new kid in town.... the 37 Coupe.
          sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            BTW, the pancaked roof wagon is still alive. It got relegated to the back burner cuz of the new kid in town.... the 37 Coupe.
            Tough spot to be in...too many cool projects and not enough time. Hopefully the '54 gets regular exercise. Any static from restorers about the '37 NOT getting restored? cheers, junior
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

No static on the 37 for the hotrodding. At least not yet. But I'm not doing anything to the body. The car will always keep its 37 Coupe appearance from the outside. I believe, as most do, that it's already a gem as it sits. Fat tires and a raked stance is about all that's needed to make it truly a great looking hot rod.
              Here are some pix of the latest work.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5160.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1728228Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5162.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1728229Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5161.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1728230Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1728231
              First is the steering and Wilwood master cylinder. Quite a stretch from the original. Next is the rear floor and mini tub from the inside. The steering column. Last, the mini tub from the outside. A few more inches for wide tires when and if the rear fenders ever go back on.
              sals54

Comment

Let me be the first to offer some static then. Shame on you.
                thom

Comment

Well Thom, in my defense, the car had already started its transformation into a hot rod when I got it. The front suspension was changed to Mustang 2 and the interior stripped out. The drivetrain was gone and all the wiring cut out.
                  I know its not always enough to make the case, but I love the car and hope to keep it as stock looking as I can. We shall see how it all goes.
                  sals54

Comment

I love hot rods as long as the car is not stripped and smoothed so much that the original style is lost. Some of these cars end up looking like eggs with no heritage left.
                    I adjusted your photos. They make me dizzy sitting sideways.
                    Attached Files
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sal,
                      And a BBC should certainly motive that amount of weight. Any hot rodding plans for the motor?
                      Bill

Comment

Sal, I love the '37 project. Keep up the good work. It still represents the Studebaker world as far as I am concerned.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Sal,
                          And a BBC should certainly motive that amount of weight. Any hot rodding plans for the motor?
                          Bill
                          No mods for now. I'm going to get it on the road first. Then when I've got most of the bugs out of it, it should not be too tough to do a simple cam swap.
                          The other option might be to mount my 2 VS57's on it with a dual quad manifold. That might get some old timey attention.
                          sals54

Comment

Gas pedal got installed today. I used a 90s Chevy truck pedal assembly. Easy to fit to the car, and modifies very easily. Cable throttle with bracket and Edlebrock Carb mounted.
                            Pix later.
                            sals54

Comment

would look nice with a set of "Artillery" Style wheels similar to originals... I wonder if you could make a "Sleeper"

Comment

Working...
                              X