Something happened...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something happened...

I have had an interesting night to say the least. It is the day before my 19th birthday and I was taking my dear Uncle Jerry down for a lovely dinner at the Palm Beach Par Three, which is a haven for all sorts of interesting characters. After the fantastic meal Daisy-Mae, just out of the blue, refused to start! Evidently, her battery was completely flat and I was in the unfortunate position of having a dead phone. Luckily, I was able to use the restaurant's phone to call my Dad and in the meantime the two of us were left to have a lovely walk on the beach.

When we came back, there was Dad standing by a portly old gentleman by the name of Lawrence. He was attended by a significantly younger Cuban secretary (of sorts) named Annabel. She supplied a charge to the car's battery via a remote battery pack. This is where it gets exciting! From what I could gather, Lawrence is something of a tycoon. He purchased two paintings and a statue on Monday and donated them to the local art museum, bought a brand new Bentley saloon (finished in silver with a cream interior) yesterday, and wanted to buy my own Daisy-Mae today!

While I had the feeling that I could name any blasted price on earth, I figured I would be honest and tell him the break-even amount. I went for a drive around the block with him and his secretary (where Daisy died again), and had a good bit of fun with this odd duck of a man. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't out of my nerves but I had fun regardless. I now have an appointment with him this Saturday at his complex to chat about both my future and that of Daisy-Mae. It was difficult to ascertain, but I believe he saw something in me of value, that he could guide me somehow.

This means that I now have a dead battery and a live tycoon on my hands. Lovely!
    Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 05-15-2019, 07:45 PM.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Arrive with high hopes and a mild amount of caution.
    Just lookin out for ya, that's all.
    sals54

Comment

Next time, you need to tell them the price that you would be ok with parting ways with Daisy-Mae and never seeing her again. Not your break-even.

Best of luck

Comment

Alternatively, he could be trying to get you involved in a pyramid scheme. Be wary. Dont sign anything. :-)

Comment

You really can't make this stuff up! See where it goes and good luck!
          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Sounds interesting and possibly an opportunity. If it's just a car purchase, then it's just a transaction but if it becomes a career opportunity, let the discussion become a conversation between you and don't assume anything that's not been specifically discussed.

One piece of advice I give my grandkids when they interview, research the company or person you will be talking to. In your case, you'll find out the source of his expertise and income and let that be part of the discussion and, of course, how you'll fit in if it's an opportunity.

I normally don't go in expecting a scam but after 76 years on this mortal coil my antenna works pretty well.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Bob

Comment

I have enjoyed your posts since you joined our forums. Especially, your youthful enthusiasm. All I will say regarding this particular episode is that LIFE unfolds as a series of "TESTS OF FAITH." Much like you being fresh from your graduation from high school...with its teachings, quizzes & tests...your grades might have been important, but the true value of your experience is your ability to assemble the information into a foundation that serves to provide sound judgement decisions.

So...here it is...an opportunity to utilize your best 19-year-old judgement. Many rocket launches have been a roaring success...and some have been horrific disasters...but in all cases, valuable lessons have been learned going forward. Whether this relationship succeeds or flops, hopefully when you are in your seventies, you will be able to reflect and know that the experience added value to your life...followed by a smile that only results from being happy at living a good life.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                So...here it is...an opportunity to utilize your best 19-year-old judgement. Many rocket launches have been a roaring success...
                Wasn't your decision made for you at 19 when you received that letter in the mail from Uncle Sam?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  Wasn't your decision made for you at 19 when you received that letter in the mail from Uncle Sam?

Craig
                  NO!...I never received that letter...I avoided the draft...I joined!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Selling on a whim, with no plan in mind may be the worst time to sell a car. We could always use money at 19, if this is the reason for selling, I get it. If not, it has me wondering why?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                      Selling on a whim, with no plan in mind may be the worst time to sell a car. We could always use money at 19, if this is the reason for selling, I get it. If not, it has me wondering why?
                      If someone wants to buy it for my asking price, that means I can upgrade to a better Stude in better condition. That would be the only reason I would sell mine. But I am also very far from 19.

Comment

All my stuff is always for sale. The stuff I want to keep just has a higher price 😎
                        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

Your just 19. Even if he wants to hire you just as a odd job assistant, you may have some fun & new experiences that you won't be able recreate when you get older. If he offers a fair wage that allows you to save a bit (remember, even at 19, you must start on that nest egg for the future), I say go for it.

Comment

I would think what I would wanna have instead... & to buy another car is new experiances = ones old stuff is known stuff, you know what you have but you'll have to find out what you might get.
                            To tell the guy to wait for you to find something that you would wanna replace Daisy-Mae with might be a thought...? You seems to be a guy with taste so make him undestand that to get another Studebaker isn't like getting another -57 Chevy or -59 Cadillac!
                            Or on the other hand: don't do what I've written...

Comment

I had a similar thing happen to me 2 years ago in a home depot parking lot while working on my broken down 1973 Kawasaki H2 750. An older gentleman approached my wife and I and asked if I was interested in selling my bike. He then started asking about my background and asked if I was interested in new career paths. He was apparently wealthy and owned many businesses. We agreed to coffee and gave me his card. I was very disappointed when we met up a week later only to find out that he wanted to recruit me into a pyramid scam. I hope you have better luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X