Turner Disc Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Turner Disc Brakes

We bought a Turner disc brake conversion for a 50 Champion. Has anyone done this conversion? If so, were you able to use the stock Studebaker wheels? The instructions say you need to get disc brake wheels. They don't say which wheels. The only four lug wheels we have been able go find are for a Ford Mustang II and they are all alloy. We would like to keep the original look of the Studebaker wheels if possible. Thanks in advance for any response.

I believe he means you need a disc brake wheel from a studebaker with disc brakes to clear the caliper. You might be able to get by with a spacer and your stock wheel.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Most newer Car 4 Lug Wheels are Metric, so would not be the correct hole spacing or stud size anyway.

You need 5 Lug Mustang Rotors and matching 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern Ford or Chrysler wheels to match up.
      I do not see how it would be possible to USE 4 Lug Wheels.

You must have gotten the "short Kit" without, Rotors, Calipers and Hoses.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Im pretty sure you can get by with a spacer, but really: you should just call Turner Brakes and ask them. They are very helpful.

Comment

The Mustang rotors Turner uses are for a 67-68 if I remember right. They have a 5 on 4.5" (114.3mm) pattern. You have several options. You can use adapters to make the rear match the Ford rotors and use Ford or Chrysler wheels all around. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4X114-3-T...ox!95304!US!-1

You can use an adapter to fit your wheel to the 5 lug rotor. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wheel-Ada...ty!95304!US!-1

You can have the mustang rotors redrilled. I'd thread the rotor and use long screw in studs. You still may need a spacer for the wheel to clear the caliper. And use your stock wheels.

Ford four lug wheels before 1974 will fit the Stude, but most were 13". 14" were available but not common. Datsun also used a 4 lug 4 1/2" (114.3mm) pattern wheel. I've not seen a 15" one from either company though.

Comment

I did get the full kit with rotors, brackets and hoses. The rotors are 4 lug for a Honda and are redrilled. I think the calipers are also Honda. We have called Turner several times and e-mailed and received no response to our inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lweaver50 View Post
              I did get the full kit with rotors, brackets and hoses. The rotors are 4 lug for a Honda and are redrilled. I think the calipers are also Honda. We have called Turner several times and e-mailed and received no response to our inquiry.
              Interesting, I didn't know they offered a "special" 4 lug kit. In that case, if the wheels hit the calipers just use spacers to move the wheel out until it doesn't hit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-4-Lug-4...ty!95304!US!-1

Comment

Spacers should be an absolute last resort. Get the proper wheels as specified by Turner. He must have figured it out or wouldn't have produced the "bolt on" kit. Early 4 bolt rims were never produced for disc brakes so I suspect Jim is using a late style 4 bolt rim to achieve the necessary clearance.
                Do it right or don't do it-Lives (yours as well as others) are at risk here.
                Bill

Comment

You first need to call Jim Turner.
                  Call Jim Turner.
                  Again. Call Jim Turner.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by Lweaver50 View Post
                    We have called Turner several times and e-mailed and received no response to our inquiry.
                    Sounds similar to my experience.

Comment

would 1979-1993 fox body Mustang or thunderbird wheels fit? They are four bolt and range from 14" to 16" and all use disk brakes. Plus there are steel versions as well as aluminum.

Comment

Turner runs a shop during the day. His instructions state to call after 7pm his time. I've been able to get ahold of him this way and he's always been responsive and generous with his time. Good luck.
                        "Man plans, God laughs".

Anon

Comment

Jim has changed positions.
                          Call him during the day.

Originally posted by Topper2011 View Post
                          Turner runs a shop during the day. His instructions state to call after 7pm his time. I've been able to get ahold of him this way and he's always been responsive and generous with his time. Good luck.
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                            would 1979-1993 fox body Mustang or thunderbird wheels fit? They are four bolt and range from 14" to 16" and all use disk brakes. Plus there are steel versions as well as aluminum.
                            They're a different bolt circle. Not far off, but far enough. 108mm instead of 114.3mm.

Comment

I just learned about the Turner kit for a '50 Champion in the last Turning Wheels. I'm very interested as I would like them for the Business Coupe I'm working on. The timing is good as every brake component is off of the car. I knew there were special wheel requirement on newer Studebakers, but not on the '50. I'm interested in what I learn about this on this thread. I'd try to call Jim Turner, but at this time I'm on the wrong side of the Internatinal Dteline. I spent a lot of time gathering 4 bolt wheels to find four that are straight, hope I can use them.
                              Perry
                              \'50 Business Champion
                              \'50 Starlight Champion
                              \'60 Lark Convertible,
                              \'63 GT R1,
                              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Working...
                              X