Spark plug wires and fun with math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug wires and fun with math

I was musing on the all the variations one could use to put spark wires on and realized how many times it can be wrong versus the one way it can be right.
    If I have this right, on a 6 cylinder engine there are 6! (factorial) ways to plug in the wires but only ONE is correct! That means you could get it wrong 719 times (720 - 1)! Someone please correct me if that's wrong. Of course an 8 cylinder will give you a lot more ways to get it wrong.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Why would ANYONE go into the task of building a spark plug wire set with the idea of doing it...wrong ?
    Ok, just having a few minutes to play around...I get that, but...
    Hell, I spent most all day cutting (mill work) into a Stude head to see what's buried deep inside Sort of the same thing...sorta. But I...got useful information

Mike

Comment

I meant plugging them in out of order.
      Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
      Why would ANYONE go into the task of building a spark plug wire set with the idea of doing it...wrong ?
      Hell, I spent most all day cutting (mill work) into a Stude head to see what's buried deep inside Sort of the same thing...sorta. But I...got useful information

Mike
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post

Mike
        I did that back in the early 70's, but used a bandsaw to slice and dice more quickly. What I learned, was how to create individual 4 tube headers with equal port sizes. I also cut 259 pistons apart to find what machine work was needed/allowable to use them with a 289 crank and attain about a 11.5 to one compression ratio. The bandsaw wouldn't accommodate a block, so modded the valley with crossed fingers to drain oil back to the pan without dripping on the crank.

With today's technology, it'd be easier to build new heads from scratch, than modify the OEM heads.

Comment

Working...
        X