hub cap thrower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hub cap thrower

Hi, my 51 champion, seems to like to throw his hub caps, while driving along, any suggestions on how to keep them on? I presently am using full size hub caps. Ive also installed new coker wide white wall radials, does that make any diff?

The radials will make a difference as they transfer more road stresses to the rims than bias ply tires. I know this has been discussed at length a few times in the past, and some will make a safety suggestion to update to a more modern rim when using radials. I'll leave that discussion for others to chime in on as I'm not fluent in what will interchange for a '51.

I have had problems with the full wheel covers wanting to roam after rotating the tires on my '55 Champion with standard rims and bias ply tires. I put a pair of pliers on each "tang" that bites into the rim and made sure they were putting enough tension on the cap to make it stay on the rim. You don't want to be too agressive when bending the "tangs", but this seems to have stopped the hubcaps from wanting to fly off,

Kevin Wolford
    Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
    60 Lark VI Conv.
    63 Avanti R1

Comment

The radials will make a difference as they transfer more road stresses to the rims than bias ply tires. I know this has been discussed at length a few times in the past, and some will make a safety suggestion to update to a more modern rim when using radials. I'll leave that discussion for others to chime in on as I'm not fluent in what will interchange for a '51.

I have had problems with the full wheel covers wanting to roam after rotating the tires on my '55 Champion with standard rims and bias ply tires. I put a pair of pliers on each "tang" that bites into the rim and made sure they were putting enough tension on the cap to make it stay on the rim. You don't want to be too agressive when bending the "tangs", but this seems to have stopped the hubcaps from wanting to fly off,

Kevin Wolford
      Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
      60 Lark VI Conv.
      63 Avanti R1

Comment

I've had this problem with my '51 and '53, both with original rims. Getting the "tangs" just right seems to be the solution. The covers are so smooth, without sculpted contours to stiffen them, they easily flex and come off. I now have three that will stay on but one that usually resides on the back floor, rather than on the wheel. Adding radials can only make the flexing more problematic.

I've decided to solve the problem on the '53 by switching to the optional wire covers. They are held on by the lug nuts.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I've had this problem with my '51 and '53, both with original rims. Getting the "tangs" just right seems to be the solution. The covers are so smooth, without sculpted contours to stiffen them, they easily flex and come off. I now have three that will stay on but one that usually resides on the back floor, rather than on the wheel. Adding radials can only make the flexing more problematic.

I've decided to solve the problem on the '53 by switching to the optional wire covers. They are held on by the lug nuts.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have 51 commander starlite coupe, I take my hub caps off when driving when i rember to> I lost one one night I forgot to take them off at a show went about 1/2 mile it came off I stopped my wife said she will get it and watched 3 cars drive over it. I bought one on Ebay that night for 18 dollars including shipping that night. I looked out Doug M PS Ihave also tryed bending tang did not help.

Comment

I have 51 commander starlite coupe, I take my hub caps off when driving when i rember to> I lost one one night I forgot to take them off at a show went about 1/2 mile it came off I stopped my wife said she will get it and watched 3 cars drive over it. I bought one on Ebay that night for 18 dollars including shipping that night. I looked out Doug M PS Ihave also tryed bending tang did not help.

Comment

I have '53 style cover on my Champ truck and they do like to wander on the rim. I have lost only one over the years, but I'm waiting to loose the second one. I did bend the tangs and that seems to have helped somewhat.

Maybe the best solution is dog dish wheel covers!

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

I have '53 style cover on my Champ truck and they do like to wander on the rim. I have lost only one over the years, but I'm waiting to loose the second one. I did bend the tangs and that seems to have helped somewhat.

Maybe the best solution is dog dish wheel covers!

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

I did read somewhere that some guys used something called Marine goo, on the inner rim to create a ridge for the tangs to grab onto, has anyone else heard of that?

Comment

I did read somewhere that some guys used something called Marine goo, on the inner rim to create a ridge for the tangs to grab onto, has anyone else heard of that?

Comment

Working...
                      X