Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the 30 gal fuel tank used in the #5 64 GT Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the 30 gal fuel tank used in the #5 64 GT Hawk?

Need to replace the fuel tank used in the #5 1964 R-3 GT Hawk that was run at Bonneville. Does anyone recall what was used?
    StudeRick & Johna
    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1963 Avanti
    1961 Lark Wagon
    1963 Lark Daytona

Does it resemble a Bolted in Tank like all stock Studes. or a Strapped in one?

The Granatelli's must have planned on a whole LOT of flying Mile and longer, high speed runs!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-09-2019, 11:08 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They were a standard tank that had some height added. Stude International actually had a couple of NOS ones on display in South Bend two years ago. Otherwise, maybe Nelson Bove could lend some advice.

Didn’t know that the Bonneville Hawk was still around. What’s the story?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
        I didn't, either. I thought the car was lost to an accident in Texas, if it was the car Dick Passwater raced afterward: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...egan&styleid=1

But the engine survives: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Engine-Found-!!!!!!

Craig

Comment

Probably something some guy did sometime in the last 50 yrs. Andy would NOT have wanted the weight of all that extra fuel!!! Stephen Allen and, I think, SI have new replacemwnt tanks for your car. Thumbs up for having such an awesome and historic car.

Comment

Actually at Bonneville they sometimes add weight to increase traction. He might have done it for the extra weight in fuel. The studes are notoriously light in back.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Actually at Bonneville they sometimes add weight to increase traction. He might have done it for the extra weight in fuel. The studes are notoriously light in back.
              Yes, a 30-gallon tank would have been an easy way to add more weight. When the high speed aero drag exceeds available traction, the rear wheels begin to spin. It's not uncommon for high horsepower cars to have to feather the throttle at more than 200 MPH. High-boost turbocharged engines are difficult to modulate the power; I once saw a turbocharged '90s Camaro spin out at 230 MPH when the driver couldn't handle the wheelspin.

IIRC, the Burke Avanti had the spare tire well in the trunk poured full of concrete for the same reason; weight adds traction.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

I worked on a local Avanti that had the spare tire well 'bump' filled with lead. The extra weight was for traction, and to make the car plant at high speeds. The cars were just too light to go straight at 175....

Comment

Maybe Jeff Rice can confirm the Burke Avanti concrete story. He is the last one to work on it before David Parris (sp) decided to sell it. I can't remember for sure if the wheel well was filled or empty, but I do remember looking the car over somewhat. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    They were a standard tank that had some height added. Stude International actually had a couple of NOS ones on display in South Bend two years ago. Otherwise, maybe Nelson Bove could lend some advice.

The car is a clone and is powered by Lionel Stones R-3. The owner has had the car built as close as possible to the #5 car.
                    StudeRick & Johna
                    Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                    1957 Silver Hawk
                    1963 Avanti
                    1961 Lark Wagon
                    1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                      It seems that adding weight in the form of extra gasoline might not be the safest way to prevent spin out. Just a thought.
                      Last edited by whitehawk759; 05-15-2019, 12:00 PM.
                      Don Watson
                      61 Hawk

Comment

I have the parts for one of the tanks. I will measure the spacer to see how much fuel it added.
                        David L

Comment

The tank hanging lower might have been beneficial aerodynamically too.

Comment

Of course! For the weight on salt where traction is often not the best. A USAF friend bought a 63 Corvair and had me overhaul it. That was actually fun. The car needed several concrete blocks in the "trunk" -up front- to keep it steerable over 60. The front end was so light it would float at higher speeds

Comment

Yeah, the front end leans the wrong way to give down-force. I used to put the spare and a heavy tool box up front in my corvair. With out the ballast you couldn't turn it in snow.

Comment

Working...
                              X