Wiring Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring Mess

The Painter that did my Sky Hawk did a Concours class job. However, he disconnected all the wires on the junction for the lights on the front, and left them hanging. No problem...I went to my Service Manual, refered to the schematic and hooked them all back up in the approriate spots. Except there's 2 wires left over which don't show on the wiring diagram! One is white with a green tracer, and the other is white with either a black or dark blue tracer. I have reason to beleive that they MAY be directional wires...they were there before he removed them, but I'll be damned if I know where they go. HELP!

They ARE the Turn Signals that were Optional so not in the Basic Diagram, there is an Accessory Diagram in the Shop Manual.

One side is Brown Tracer, the Other is Green Tracer, sorry I forgot which is L & R but a test will tell you.
    Lay them on a rag so they will not short out during the test.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

See what doesn't work after you power-up. All the best.

Comment

Turn signals they were...thanks Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          They ARE the Turn Signals that were Optional
          Turn signals were optional on the Sky Hawk??????
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I don't think they were even required in the Motor Vehicle Regulations until well into the 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
              I don't think they were even required in the Motor Vehicle Regulations until well into the 70s.
              I looked up the history of turn signals a while ago, but can't remember the details. I believe they were required nationwide in the US in 1955 or 56, though things like size and location were not specified until much later. But a number of states and provinces had their own signal regs as early as the 1930s, especially for trucks.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                I looked up the history of turn signals a while ago, but can't remember the details. I believe they were required nationwide in the US in 1955 or 56, though things like size and location were not specified until much later. But a number of states and provinces had their own signal regs as early as the 1930s, especially for trucks.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I remember installing them in a 54 Aero Willys, so they obviously weren't required then.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Jerry. I remember installing them in a 54 Aero Willys, so they obviously weren't required then.
                    It depended on the state. They were not yet federally required, but individual states did require them. For example, New York State required turn signals starting with the 1953 model year.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      One side is Brown Tracer, the Other is Green Tracer, sorry I forgot which is L & R but a test will tell you.
                      I believe the white with green tracer is left and the brown tracer is right.

Comment

BENSHERB - Thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          It depended on the state. They were not yet federally required, but individual states did require them. For example, New York State required turn signals starting with the 1953 model year.
                          Enforcement must have been spotty. The 54 Aero Willys I mentioned above was registered in New York and had no directional signals until I installed them in around 1960. Not sure where the car was sold new, however.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Enforcement must have been spotty. The 54 Aero Willys I mentioned above was registered in New York and had no directional signals until I installed them in around 1960. Not sure where the car was sold new, however.
                            Perhaps it was not sold new in NY. The law, about 1953 and newer models, only applied to new vehicle sales. If the car came from another state and did not have turn signals, you did not have to install them.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X