Cool 1953 Starliner Pick of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool 1953 Starliner Pick of the Day

Pretty cool 1953 Starliner Pick of the Day here.

At the risk of stirring up the usual hornet's nest, I'm imagining how much cooler it would be if they had spent the $13,000 on a genuine Studebaker R3 clone engine for it...and it's not clear whether the cited $13,000 includes the "$8,000 worth of add-ons," which would bring it to $21,000 for the engine alone!

Regardless, with either $13,000 or $21,000 having been spent on an R3 clone, or even an R2, it would be cooler yet. (Your opinion may vary, to which you are entitled, but I'll not apologize for mine...)

'Love the color combination; 'way cool. Nice, nice car:

https://journal.classiccars.com/2019/05/05/cool-custom-53-studebaker-coupe/
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Creamy dreamy.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Lovely car! Thanks for sharing it with us Bob.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

(Opinion)

Don't blame the builder.
        This response is for the majority of the builders out in the aftermarket automotive/nostalgia/performance world.
        They are beholden to the owner (who is the financier), or to their own knowledge base (if a self builder).
        The vast majority of the builders out there know very little, if any, of the true Studebaker engine history.
        They would not know an R3 from an R3350.
        They do know they love the 'look'. And what is under the skin is mostly driven by the advertisers in various magazines.
        The amount of that barrage of communication from the aftermarket world works.
        The puny slim drip of true Studebaker historical communication to the aftermarket is pitiful in comparison.
        Part of that is the mindset that the best place, and the only place, to share this knowledge is within the hobbyist walls of publications like Turning Wheels.
        Not a slam, here (remember I said this was an 'opinion')... But an observation.
        Very rarely does someone really venture out to write and share (regularly) the hard core Studebaker history and factory efforts to the mainstream media.
        Holding back this type of information and communication to keep it 'in the clique' can be a big limiting factor.
        But that in itself is part of the charm of being an orphan marque.
        A large percentage of the Studebaker type person shuns the mainstram big three for the quirkiness of the odd duck Studebaker.
        Again.. Not a slam.
        But it is to be expected that builders will follow the main stream when they are not even aware of the Studebaker world.
        We do this to ourselves.
        Our criticism or comments need to be tempered with an inward look in the mirror and ask ourselves "why"?
        This is something 'we' (The Studebaker Power Team) are trying to do at the 2019 Engine Master's Challenge this October in Cleveland. Promote Studebaker power to the mainstream media and engine builders.

A worldwide place where enthusiastic people can celebrate and share the exciting world of Studebaker Power. Ownership is not required. Spirit is required. Whether you have a project, are looking for...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

All very true.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Way cool car, with a GOOD engine, but not a way cool one. I also agree with Deepnhock's opinion, and it would be great to see the Studebaker Power Team do well at the Engine Masters Challenge.
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

It's a gorgeous car.

I wouldn't mind if it had an original engine with OD and an original color; or is that actually Monterey Beige? With bodywork that good, make mine black. And it would cost a lot less.

But, if max performance is the goal, and originality second, then it's likely a good deal stronger than with an R3 clone.

Comment

Very cool car! Thanks for posting!
                -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Jeff, your observations are true, but happily they are being changed y lots of dedicated folks. Bob Palma , for one writing in Hemmings.
                  Ed George for the shows at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. Dave Kinney for donating to MacPherson College, and other national events. Wayne Carini showing at Pebble Beach. Richard Clark for showing at Amelia Island. I can go on and on.
                  The future looks bright for Studebaker!
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Stude power would make it more appealing to the 10,000 or so Studebaker faithful out there but for the rest of the world they would rather have an engine they've heard of before. Either way I would be proud to have it in my driveway.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Totally agree! One of the best to come along in recent years, but for the $130,000 invested, it should be. If they'd just put the $21,000 into a Packard V8, it would have made the same 450 horsepower, but would have been unique.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Do I even know you guys anymore? Ok, I'll be the first to say it: That's not a coupe!

Beautiful paint. I'd have done a Stude V8 and left the hood emblem on, but I wasn't the one dropping the $$ on it. I'm just glad it doesn't have low profile tires on it!

Comment

I have only two nits to pick.
                          Bob Golfen should know it's a hardtop, not coupe; and it has wheel covers, not hub caps.
                          Drop me the keys anytime.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All good points, Brad. And I was not nitpicking those efforts, by any means..

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            Jeff, your observations are true, but happily they are being changed y lots of dedicated folks. Bob Palma , for one writing in Hemmings.
                            Ed George for the shows at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals. Dave Kinney for donating to MacPherson College, and other national events. Wayne Carini showing at Pebble Beach. Richard Clark for showing at Amelia Island. I can go on and on.
                            The future looks bright for Studebaker!
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              Totally agree! One of the best to come along in recent years, but for the $130,000 invested, it should be. If they'd just put the $21,000 into a Packard V8, it would have made the same 450 horsepower, but would have been unique. jack vines
                              Good one, Jack; I'd endorse that in a heartbeat. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X