1961 Hawk seats suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Hawk seats suggestions?

I am doing some upgrading to my 61 hawk. Any suggestions on what kind of bucket seats could fit or where to find a replacement bench seat. I currently have a bench seat but the springs are shot. I'd like to go to buckets if it could be done without too much of a struggle. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would try to find some original 1961 Hawk bucket seats. 1961 was the first year they were offered in the Hawk and they are very nice!

Comment

The best ones I have seen are as rare as what you had. The 65 Impala split bench fits right in.

Comment

It shouldn't be too hard to make almost any bucket seat fit, the stock bucket seats are fairly wide. Most newer bucket seats are narrower, and simply bolt through the floor. Stay away from mid 60s full size cars, their buckets are quite wide. I had a pair from a '69 Mustang that I liked, I used them in a Pinto, a Toyota and a Nissan, before I sold them with the Nissan.

Comment

I just did a 2014 GMC Denlai that had a great set of leather bucket seats and center consul. I am looking for a set of these or something close to put in a 62 hawk. I think even with a little work the back seat would work or at the very least pull the cover and have it reworked to fit the hawk seat.

Comment

I just purchased a set of Mercedes 280SE seats for my 53. I haven’t finished my build yet but I wanted reclining options. I sat in my friend’s 63 and wasn’t really excited about the reclining function. I did a lot of searching for seats and found newer seats not to my liking. I didn’t want to open the door to see a mass of plastic that newer seats have become.
            I don’t know if esthetics or ergonomics are important but if so, consider them in your search.
            You might be able to buy the lower portion of the bench seat from a good parts car. This would certainly cut down on the shipping costs.

Comment

‘61 Hawk Bucket seats are somewhat hard to find, but are wide and comfortable. And correct looking. ‘62-‘64 Hawk buckets are narrower, but have a spiffy little center console that fits between them. They are considerably easier to find. If switching to any Studebaker buckets, be sure to get the seat mounting bracket that the inboard seat track bolts onto.
              Recently, I also found out to my surprise, that later Lark seats are a direct interchange and look and fit properly, so that opens up the possibility of finding a split bench, and maybe even a reclining one!
              As for newer Brand-X buckets, I personally can’t stand opening the door of a vintage car and seeing seats with plastic recliner handles, plastic power seat knobs, etc. Just so out of place! The charm of an old car for me is that it’s—well— old!
              You can always buy a Camry or something if that’s what you want!
              1950 Commander Land Cruiser
              1951 Champion Business Coupe
              1951 Commander Starlight
              1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
              1953 Champion Starlight
              1953 Commander Starliner
              1953 2R5
              1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
              1957 Silver Hawk
              1957 3E5 Pick-Up
              1959 Silver Hawk
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Cruiser 4 speed
              1963 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
              1965 Cruiser
              1970 Avanti

Comment

Try to find the real thing. I have a 61 Hawk and the seats are nice. Too bad they were one year only 'cause the GT seats are not nearly so comfortable and sit just a tad too high for a 6' plus guy.

Comment

Working...
                X