Source for NOS pre-cut keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for NOS pre-cut keys

Anyone know of a source for 1953 pre-cut keys? I have the key numbers. Thanks Guys.

Most people use the actual reproduction copy Studebaker Key Blanks and have them cut to match existing keys or have one of the set of 3 Ignition & Door Locks "KEYED" by a Locksmith and then cut the new Blank.

There ARE a FEW Old Locksmith's that have the Studebaker Codes to make a key from the Code, just call around your area.

There are no "Precut keys", at least not likely cut to your "Code".

'47-'59 Commanders (and 8 Cyl. Cars) use "Hurd" Brand Locks and Keys, Champions use "Yale" Brand.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-29-2019, 09:28 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I use a locksmith in Marshal , MN. He has always done a great job at a reasonable cost.

Comment

'47-'59 Commanders (and 8 Cyl. Cars) use "Hurd" Brand Locks and Keys, Champions use "Yale" Brand.[/QUOTE]

I've often wondered why they used two suppliers for locks, seems like all cars could have used the same lock.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Any chance there will be a key cutter and seller of blanks at the swap meet this coming weekend in South Bend?

Comment

Well last year at South Bend I bought the key blanks for my Avanti WITHOUT having my car keys with me (my fault...who goes for parts and does not bring the sample along to compare), so the national vendor said these should fit. Yup, you guessed it, my 58 year old example sometime in its life had an extensive make over in the lock set department! Nothing I bought fit (NOT the vendors fault....my stupidity for not bringing the current keys), I was lucky a local old line Green Bay hardware store fix me up with what I needed. This year at South Bend I will be dragging samples that I want to replace along for the ride (this smelly pile will take some explaining to the other half). Sherm / Green Bay 63R1089

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
              I've often wondered why they used two suppliers for locks, seems like all cars could have used the same lock.
              I always attributed the Two Vendor thing for backup. Security for when as has happened, a Supplier goes on Strike, has Production issues or whatever.

The two Lock Co.'s. were Yale and Hurd.

The Glass Suppliers were both PPG and LOF

The Autolite Co. vs the Delco Div. of GM Electrical components.

The Carburetors came from Carter and Bendix Stromberg, and Fuel Pumps from Carter, and AC.

The Saginaw Gear and the Ross Steering Gears.

Several Nameplate, Emblem and Ornament Co's. Roth and others.

There were probably 3 or 4 Paint Mfg's. used as well.

Tail Light and Parking Light Lenses came from 2 or 3 Vendors.

Tires were not ALL Firestone, just most. There were also a few U.S.Royal, Goodyear and Very few Allstate.

The Transmissions were always Borg Warner, but until Cost stopped it, they did work with Detroit Gear Division of Borg Warner to create the Studebaker Automatic Drive 3 band, high gear Lockup Transmission.

Like Budd vs Kelsey Hayes (in this case it was probably more about COST, and availability because the K/H were already in production for AMC and they did not have to "re-invent the wheel" for the '64 Disc. Brake Wheels.

I am sure there were more duplicate Suppliers to have some backups.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-01-2019, 08:26 AM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X