Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a "Baclofen Pump" (in YOUR human body) and still work normally on car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a "Baclofen Pump" (in YOUR human body) and still work normally on car?

Hi all, a bit unusual of a question I know, but being in the middle of my '57 Golden Hawk restoration, I'm concerned about what the future holds for "limitations" physically. I have a rare autoimmune illness called SPS, but is similar in some respects to MS, and like MS, in my case (per trial this past week), can be helped by surgically implanting a pump (like an insulin pump), and a catheter that runs directly to your spinal cord, and provides the drug 'baclofen' and reduces spasms and tightness in muscles. The pump gets implanted under your rib cage (choosing left side, being right-handed and most often laying on floor or reaching into engine compartment, etc.. on RIGHT side of body). But don't know what to expect. You DON'T want to break that catheter or the pump! So, would be re-assuring to hear of others who might have had this pump installed and whether you had to limit your car-restoration activities, or work arounds. I've thought about maybe one of those 'life preservers' that doubles as a boat-seat (vs a full-size life vest), or something that would pad my torso. HOT in summer though. :-( Thanks and sorry so "off topic" to Studes.

If the pump is "inside" of your rib cage, would that not be protection enough ? After all, that's why nature put our (most all animals with bones) more critical parts within its confines in the first place, protection from outside forces.
    As long as the delivery tube is long enough and will not be pulled tight when you stretch your arms and-or torso to reach into places... Make sure the doctors understand what you do as a hobby and leave things a little long, rather than "just" long enough.

Best of luck.

Mike

Comment

Does the tubing remain in your body? If so that too should be protected like Mike said by the rib cage. If you have any fear that the pump and catheter may be vulnerable, padding of some sort around your mid section might help. My insulin pump is not implanted but remains in my pocket. I try to stay off the side where it is located (changes every three days) or put some padding around it. One thing a doctor told me a long time ago (I have been a type 1 diabetic for 68 years) was to do all you can when you can. Good luck and try your hardest to keep working on that hawk. It is great therapy.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

thanks guys. Unfortunately (in this case? probably very uncomfortable if it WAS :-) the pump itself is in the fleshy tissue just UNDER where your rib cage ends, so basically just above waistline. I'm 6'6" and 200 odd lbs, so not a lot of meat on me to cushion it naturally. Only time it would be nice to have a little more of a "spare tire" :-) The catheter I am guessing will be threaded OUTSIDE the rib cage, as they cut a slit by the spinal cord to insert it and thread it around from the front side where the pump is; don't think they could do this if it were going under and between ribs. I guess I'll just have to see where it really ends up, how well it seems to 'move' with me, and also what the doc has to say about what to avoid. Have not me with him yet. I'm 54, so lots of years (I hope) that this may BUY me to keep working (job and fun), but also nothing comes without risks....

Comment

My special needs grandson has had one for around 5 years now and the only problem has been the pump flipping around and they have had to go In and flip it back It has helped him. Not necessarily the answer to the question but they do help
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I am a MD. I'd guess you can do some car stuff, but you should be careful. I would be very paranoid about injuries because you do not want an infection. Foreign bodies (the pump) can become infected and in the csf -that is very bad. You should talk to your doctor about any limits on your activity. Two thumbs up for still wanting to mess around with old iron! Wear nitrile gloves.

Comment

Can’t relate to your specific issue, but I have an implanted pacemaker. Before it was placed I did research to find a model that would allow me to use outdoor power equipment and a welder.

Comment

Working...
              X