Was there ever a 4 speed DG200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there ever a 4 speed DG200?

I would swear that the DG200 in my 51 Commander has a fourth gear. It starts in 2nd, shifts to third around 20 and then will shift again somewhere between 25-30. At least it feels and sounds like a shift.
    Thoughts?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Sounds more like it's slipping and then hooking up after a second. Only way a DG 200 is a four speed is if you count reverse.

Comment

Is the dg200 a 1st gear start? Could it be a later model 6 cyl auto which was a 1st gear start?

Comment

That transmission uses a lock up torque converter so 3rd gear is direct drive. It sounds like there may be a pressure drop following the shift out of second gear and before the converter locks up. Make sure the fluid level is correct and not too low or over full. Have the bands checked for correct adjustment. Does it operate the same way whether hot or cold? You may need to have your converter checked. It could also be a worn front pump.
        See if there is a DG transmission guru in your local club who can check and adjust things for you.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          Is the dg200 a 1st gear start?
          No; second gear start only.
          Built by Borg-Warner specifically for Studebaker beginning in 1950.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think that you are experiencing the lock up of the torque converter, not another gear.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I think that you are experiencing the lock up of the torque converter, not another gear.
              Which sort of is the same thing. The transmission does something which causes the RPM to drop.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Are you sure that someone hasn't substituted a DG250 out of a 1955?

Comment

This is definitely a 2nd gear start. It just feels like a 4th gear step down. The trans slips sometimes between 2nd and third. I have readjusted the bands and it did help. It just feels like an overdrive sometimes.
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lelshaddai View Post
                    This is definitely a 2nd gear start. It just feels like a 4th gear step down. The trans slips sometimes between 2nd and third. I have readjusted the bands and it did help. It just feels like an overdrive sometimes.
                    I still believe that you are just experiencing the automatic mechanical lock-up of the torque converter.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is a clutch similar in function to the one for a 3sp transmission within the torque converter housing but it is normally open. When shifting to third the transmission goes to neutral and a plunger moves forward to engage the clutch. This creates the direct drive. The system is very susceptible to dirt and the filter isn't that great. As has been mentioned it sounds like the clutch is slipping before fully engaging.
                      Rob

Comment

Probably, This car is giving me fits in all areas. Once I think I have something corrected then something else pops up. Thought I had carb backfire fixed , now it is back. I have a complete running 289 and dg250 trans. I am seriously considering doing the swap. Only hate to take the numbers matching stuff out.
                        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Is the filter you speak of in the torque converter or the pan filter?
                          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The pan filter is the only one. The torque converter and the transmission share the fluid.
                            Rob

Comment

I recently changed the trans fluid and cleaned out the filter.
                              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X