Need 1937 info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 1937 info...

My shop manual has not yet arrived, but I'm eager to tinker. Does anyone here know how to remove a hood latch assembly? I'm moving a latch from a donor hood to my hood, as mine came without one. This is the mechanism on the hood itself. I had to drill out the 4 small bolts holding the assembly to the hood. They were too weak from rust to move. The large nut holding the hood ornament seems to be the culprit. The tabs bent down without breaking. So far, so good. But the last piece of the puzzle is the nut itself. I've used heat.... and wax.... and soaked it.... I even back wrenched the stud with vice grips. But I'm afraid to use too much force for fear of breaking the ornament itself.
    I've got plenty of other things to occupy my time on this car, but I would like to get this done if possible. I need the hood mounted and latched so I can accurately mount the fenders and grill assembly.
    Thanks in advance.
    sals54

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    My shop manual has not yet arrived, but I'm eager to tinker. Does anyone here know how to remove a hood latch assembly? I'm moving a latch from a donor hood to my hood, as mine came without one. This is the mechanism on the hood itself. I had to drill out the 4 small bolts holding the assembly to the hood. They were too weak from rust to move. The large nut holding the hood ornament seems to be the culprit. The tabs bent down without breaking. So far, so good. But the last piece of the puzzle is the nut itself. I've used heat.... and wax.... and soaked it.... I even back wrenched the stud with vice grips. But I'm afraid to use too much force for fear of breaking the ornament itself.
    I've got plenty of other things to occupy my time on this car, but I would like to get this done if possible. I need the hood mounted and latched so I can accurately mount the fenders and grill assembly.
    Thanks in advance.
    Heat the nut to cherry red then douse it with lots and lots of water. You'll be able to screw it off with your fingers.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

sals54
      There is a plate that the hinge bolts thread into on top of the rear brace, I suggest you use a penetrant lubricant on the plate. If that doesn't work I suggest heating the bolts and twisting then off and drilling the bolts out.
      Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
        Heat the nut to cherry red then douse it with lots and lots of water. You'll be able to screw it off with your fingers.
        Thanks Jerry. Sounds like that may be the ticket. I just hate to break anything after waiting for, and finally getting the parts I need.
        I also had to replace the missing pot metal chrome leading edge on the hood. So I had to remove about 25 small nuts and screws frome each side of the "vented" sides on the hood. First the ones on the parts hood, then all the ones on my hood.... just to replace the chrome piece on the nose of the hood.
        Sheeeeesh. I can't believe how labor intensive everything is on this 37. The grill, hood and sides are sooooo dang complicated. And HEAVY ! ! ! ! Holy smokes ! ! ! the grill assembly weighs a ton. I had a 36 Ford a couple years ago which had a very nice looking grill and front end assembly. It was not much more than a couple pieces of stamped steel. Very light and easy to handle.
        sals54

Comment

Well.... success.... sort of....
          I used the heat method. But I only had a MAPP torch. It took a while, but it got pretty dang near red hot. Not cherry, but quite near.
          Anyhoo, I then used the 3/4" wrench on it with a cheater. Slow and steady pressure, then it started coming loose. I also used a vice grip on the back end of the stud so I wouldn't break it off the chrome top.
          As the nut was coming looser and looser, I noticed that it was not backing off. It ended up just shearing off the threads at the nut.
          But still, it did come off with my fingers just like you said. Now all I have to do is rethread the end with a smaller size or just cross drill it and use a cotter pin. One way or another, it'll work great.
          Thanks again for the quick help. Now on to the next phase.
          sals54

Comment

Working...
          X