Ted Vernon was right..., 289 Ford powered Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Vernon was right..., 289 Ford powered Studebaker

I guess this is a little late for April Fool's (or early if you're thinking 2020) but I couldn't help but be amused at this Studebaker that showed up at Cars & Coffee this morning.
    Attached Files
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Looks like it fits in there pretty good!
    1966 Daytona Sport Sedan - Richelieu Blue

Comment

looks like it would be wide enough to stuff a 351w in there.

Comment

That car belongs to a good friend of mine. It is a GREAT driver. It gets driven to Studebaker events all around southern California (and frequently much further)!
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

That Air Cleaner is pretty awesome!

I always liked those Fairlane and Mustang 260, 289 and 289 Hi Performance Emblems.

I had the Gold anodized Aluminum and Black 289 Fairlane version on my '63 Wagonaire 289 where the "Lark" letters used to be, just a bit lower.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

was wondering about steering box clearance appears car has modified front suspension or at least rack and pinion added. Looks like nice work on swap

Comment

The Ford 289 may be the best all around motor made by ford. Stude 289 was very excellent too.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

The car has an American Motors front clip. I don't remember what year or model, but it does have disc brakes.
                Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

brngarage. AMC. I would guess a pacer a lot of those got swapped out into something else. Only thing I know is the rack is kind of weak.

Comment

I had a friend in high school that bought a Golden Hawk with a "289" in it. While I wasn't all that up on Studebakers at the time, I did understand that the Stude 289 had the distributor in the back, unlike my friends car, with the distributor in the front.
                    Cool car all things considered.

Mike

Comment

Way back when NC still required annual safety inspections for older cars I took my Champ to get an inspection taken care of. The truck has an R1 engine. The guy who was preforming the inspection asked about the engine. I explained its history as thoroughly as I could. Still, he would not believe me that it was not a Ford engine. I asked him to think of the location of the distributor as Mike mentioned. He still said that difference was that the engine in my truck was a big block Ford. At that point I got my inspection sticker and left. Later this guy's boss and I had a good laugh about the engine in my truck.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                        I had a friend in high school that bought a Golden Hawk with a "289" in it. While I wasn't all that up on Studebakers at the time, I did understand that the Stude 289 had the distributor in the back, unlike my friends car, with the distributor in the front.
                        Cool car all things considered.

Mike
                        221/260/289: Distributor in front of carb, valve covers retained by 6 bolts per side, 'spin-on' oil filter located at left front corner of block, water pump bolts to timing cover.

221: 1962/63 / 260: 1962/64 / 289: 1963/68.

Pic from 1965/72 Ford Passenger Car Parts Catalog:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420195145FP-7635-B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1727734

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                          looks like it would be wide enough to stuff a 351w in there.
                          A Winsor is only two and quarter inches wider, so yep looks like it would fit fine.
                          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

I agree with t walgamuth; I had a Fairlane wagon with HP 289 (& it was a Ford engine to boot! ), bucket seats & 4-on-the-floor original & it was a mighty nice car! (The guy who ordered it originaly pulled a similar but hotter Fairlane coupe with it to the strip.)

Comment

Yah I went with a friend and his 1916 Ford Couplet to that show yesterday. Conejo Valley Cars and Coffees in Newbury Park is a fun show twice a month https://www.cvcarsandcoffee.com/. That is my StudeFord with a Pacer front end, great guess swvalcon. I put over 15k miles on it with-out any concerns and able to drive it anywhere. Thanks for sharing!
                              Ricci D.

Los Angeles Chapter
                              www.studebakersla.com

'51 Champion Starlight Coupe
                              '56 President Pinehurst

Comment

Working...
                              X