Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior

Looking for someone who can install a complete interior kit in my 1964 GT Hawk in the Yuma Arizona or surrounding area. Recently purchased kit now need professional installation.

I think looking in the Yuma area may be a better option than here on the World Wide Web, but you never know, maybe someone here has some experience with Yuma Upholstery Shops.

I hope you find a good one locally, since the Shop will need the Car to do this.

UPDATE: I just found the Website for this Guy Jim who IS right there in Yuma!

I sold him Parts for this '53 Stude. Custom Pickup Re-restoration that he did some beautiful work on, so he MUST have a really GOOD Upholstery Guy, or know one!

Whoever did the Body Design work, sure didn't ask for MY opinion!

Jim's Rod Shop: Restoring Vintage Cars and Hot Rods in Yuma, Arizona
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-21-2019, 11:50 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yaaaaa.........just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Lots of things on that car that just don't fit, line up, or fulfill a design. But that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I think looking in the Yuma area may be a better option than here on the World Wide Web, but you never know, maybe someone here has some experience with Yuma Upholstery Shops.

I hope you find a good one locally, since the Shop will need the Car to do this.

UPDATE: I just found the Website for this Guy Jim who IS right there in Yuma!

I sold him Parts for this '53 Stude. Custom Pickup Re-restoration that he did some beautiful work on, so he MUST have a really GOOD Upholstery Guy, or know one!

http://www.jimsrodshop.net/Painter_1953_Studebaker.htm
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

That car belongs to our forum friend paintim613, and was originally customized in 1955 by his late father in law and uncle. Tim and his wife lovingly had the car redone, are proud of it, and the family heritage it represents.

sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

You might not like what they did. But they did save a Stude from the crusher.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
            You might not like what they did. But they did save a Stude from the crusher.
            It had been wrecked, and purchased from the insurance company.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Wildbison View Post
              Looking for someone who can install a complete interior kit in my 1964 GT Hawk in the Yuma Arizona or surrounding area. Recently purchased kit now need professional installation.
              If you have joined your local SDC chapter I would think many of the members have probably vetted upholsterers in the area and could make the best recommendations.
              Just MHO but, if you haven't joined SDC and your local chapter you are sort of trying to reinvent the wheel.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by Wildbison View Post
                Interior work on the mentioned '53 custom was done by our son-in-law, Mark Varner, in Phoenix. Contact me if you want to contact him.
                Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Rich,
                  If your opinion was required before any Studebaker could be modified...there wouldn't be ANY modified Studebakers
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

A note of thanks to Dave and others who know the full story of our '53 custom that appeared in Hemmings Motor News in January, 2017. Article link is in Dave's post above. We rarely hear any critical comments about our one of a kind car. It is often recognized as a Stude and retains its original drive train. As importantly, it starts numerous conversations allowing us to educate others about Studebakers. Of all of the awards received over the years, probably the Best of Show at 2017 Zone Meet in Colorado Springs, CO, tops the list. Another big thank you to Dick Steinkamp who praised the car back in 2009-11 during its restoration here in Yuma.

Comment

Preface by saying this is not a political statement, just a statement of fact. In days of yor, there would have been no doubt how to proceed. You would just run it across the border to Mexico, where there were a large number of shops willing, and able to do the work, at a fraction of the cost that it was available stateside.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                        Preface by saying this is not a political statement, just a statement of fact. In days of yor, there would have been no doubt how to proceed. You would just run it across the border to Mexico, where there were a large number of shops willing, and able to do the work, at a fraction of the cost that it was available stateside.
                        I guarantee you that the quality of the work on our car could never be done, even close, anywhere in Mexico. We have been asked hundreds of times if it is a factory car. Several body guys with many years of experience have told us they had never seen custom work of this level. Pictures can't really show what I am trying to communicate. No need for me to respond further to anyone who hasn't seen our car in person.

Comment

Thank you so much for responding. I would very much like to contact your son-in- law Mark Varner. Please give contact info or means by which I can obtain it.

Comment

Sorry I must have missed the implication that the questioner was interested in finding the best trimmer in the area, to do a job that any upholstery shop could do. I don't see installing a prepared interior as something that one of the top trimmers would be willing to do. Many of the top trimmers in the industry are originally from south of the border. Believe me, many of them didn't learn their trade after they came to this country.

In my experience the best trimmers are booked up for at least six months, and are costly. I doubt that my trimmer would even consider a job like William is asking about. It would be like attaching his name to someone else's work. Few top-end trimmers, that I know, would be willing to risk their reputation on a job like this one.

Comment

Working...
                            X