My 1962 Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1962 Cruiser

Well, the big day finally came and I saw (and drove) my 1962 Cruiser with a 259 engine, what a delightful (steering excepted) car. What really surprised me was the ease of driving it, after my 2004 Toyota Corolla 1.6L wagon I kind of expected to have trouble with the V8 but the two cars felt similar which is wonderful.

The car was owned by the late Bill Page for those who knew him, and has minor rust on the doors which is easily fixed, and basically just requires a new dash pad and new carpet. I won't be restoring it as it's a great car to have fun with. Trevor repaired the (drum) brakes, put a new master cylinder on it and got the radiator flushed. The wheels are Ford, and the LPG (Propane) conversion will be removed as I can then get a concessional "Historic Registration" which entitles you to drive the car for 90 days a year which is sufficient for club use. I also need a new fuel sender as the guage doesn't work. I still owe $2500 but that should only be a couple of months then I can take it away. They would likely have let me take it but I prefer to have paid in full first.

I took some photos so, without further ado I present

[/img]http://farm4http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2284557301_0eb33765ff_m.jpg[img]

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Very Nice John... How come the red back-up lamps? Is that an Aussie thing? [8)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

Very Nice John... How come the red back-up lamps? Is that an Aussie thing? [8)]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Nice looking car John.
        I have always thought the right hand Studes were so cool.[8D]

Gordon

Comment

Nice looking car John.
          I have always thought the right hand Studes were so cool.[8D]

Gordon

Comment

And tell us too, about that air filter and the heat exchanger or whatever it is.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

And tell us too, about that air filter and the heat exchanger or whatever it is.

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I think the backup lamps must be Aussie law or else put on sometime in the past.
                If Dwain is referring to the silver thing at the bottom of the last photo that is the converter for the lpg system it turns the liquid into a gas.

More than that I can't say, just had fun getting used to the manual steering. Will likely put Air Conditioning on before next summer depending upon cost.

Apparently the mechanic who serviced it said it's in good condition, I'll have to get the serial number and get the build sheet - couldn't find a number on the firewall, though the LPG installer may have put their data plate over it, and I forgot to look on the Passenger door (drivers door on LHD models).

John Clements
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements

Comment

I think the backup lamps must be Aussie law or else put on sometime in the past.
                  If Dwain is referring to the silver thing at the bottom of the last photo that is the converter for the lpg system it turns the liquid into a gas.

More than that I can't say, just had fun getting used to the manual steering. Will likely put Air Conditioning on before next summer depending upon cost.

Apparently the mechanic who serviced it said it's in good condition, I'll have to get the serial number and get the build sheet - couldn't find a number on the firewall, though the LPG installer may have put their data plate over it, and I forgot to look on the Passenger door (drivers door on LHD models).

John Clements
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

SASCO still has some of those amber colored lenses that take the place of the clear back-up lens. It was/is law in Australia and a few other countries for the turn signals to be amber instead of red.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

SASCO still has some of those amber colored lenses that take the place of the clear back-up lens. It was/is law in Australia and a few other countries for the turn signals to be amber instead of red.

Craig

Comment

Oh, that's SUCH a cool car, John! (Of course, I AM a Lark fanatic!) I would love to have a RHD Lark someday myself.

I also like that color on that car; never seen it before. I wonder if it's factory?

Congrats, and hope you get her home soon![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                        Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Oh, that's SUCH a cool car, John! (Of course, I AM a Lark fanatic!) I would love to have a RHD Lark someday myself.

I also like that color on that car; never seen it before. I wonder if it's factory?

Congrats, and hope you get her home soon![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                          Parish, central NY 13131

"With your Lark you're on your own, free as a bird, alive as a Lark. You've suddenly discovered that parking is a pleasure, traffic is a breeze, turning's no trick at all, and happiness is a thing called Larking!"

Comment

Very nice John! Is the spare "blue" air filter for the dust?

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Very nice John! Is the spare "blue" air filter for the dust?

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X