Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker and the San Francisco earthquake , this date in 1906.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker and the San Francisco earthquake , this date in 1906.

On this day (April 18) in 1906 San Francisco was struck by a devastating earthquake (estimated at a 7.9 on the Richter scale) that destroyed or burned much of the city and caused an estimated 3000 deaths. By comparison the great Chicago fire of Oct 1871 resulted in approx. 300 deaths. Studebaker had a major presence in SF at that time and had a large four story repository at 201 – 207 Market Street. It suffered considerable fire damage. Studebaker was quick to rebuild however. I am attaching some photos of the building both interior and exterior along with a few ads and color advertising cards from the era.

Click image for larger version

Name:	san fran 1903 fire copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1760384Click image for larger version

Name:	san fran 1903 fire damage copy.jpg
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1760385Click image for larger version

Name:	san fran 1903 damage2 copy.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1760386Click image for larger version

Name:	ad 1903.jpg
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1760387Click image for larger version

Name:	horse1 San fran composite caption.jpg
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	1760388Click image for larger version

Name:	girl parrot composite.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1760389Click image for larger version

Name:	swamp composite.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1760390
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I note that the sign at the corner of the building states; Studebaker's.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As I stated in post #3 here-----> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...5566&styleid=1

The general populace was totally oblivious to an earthquake about to happen.

Craig

Comment

Here is a picture of the current 201 Market St. area today. Ironic that a Google Maps car is following..., a Google Maps car.

Good to see the Studebaker quickly recovered from the earthquake. Not everyone was so fortunate. My wife's family were prominent people in San Francisco since 1850. Between the 1906 earthquake and the depression they were reduced to "common folk." There is a rather famous painting of "Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane" that her great grandfather owned. It was cut from its frame prior to the house being dynamited (in hope of stopping the fire). Here is a bit of the story if interested. http://www.heinrichhofmann.net/chris...ethsemane.html (timely to mention as this Sunday is Resurrection Sunday)
        Attached Files
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Wittsend; Thanks for the post and photo. Wonder what that painting would be worth today?
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
            Here is a picture of the current 201 Market St. area today. Ironic that a Google Maps car is following..., a Google Maps car.

Good to see the Studebaker quickly recovered from the earthquake. Not everyone was so fortunate. My wife's family were prominent people in San Francisco since 1850. Between the 1906 earthquake and the depression they were reduced to "common folk." There is a rather famous painting of "Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane" that her great grandfather owned. It was cut from its frame prior to the house being dynamited (in hope of stopping the fire). Here is a bit of the story if interested. http://www.heinrichhofmann.net/chris...ethsemane.html (timely to mention as this Sunday is Resurrection Sunday)
            Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            Wittsend; Thanks for the post and photo. Wonder what that painting would be worth today?
            I would love to know how people are able to do those screen captures from Google Maps. I haven't figured that trick out. Yeah, it's the building behind the other Google Car on the corner in the background.

As to the painting... millions, at this point. I wonder if they know of the story from San Francisco connected to this painting. A lot of people lost everything in that Quake/fire and the municipal stupidity connected with it.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

It's amazing the entire building wasn't gutted, perhaps they had water main pressure in that neighborhood, or a cistern nearby AND firefighters were available....

Comment

San Francisco historians refer to it as the great earthquake AND FIRE, with an emphasis on the fire. The earthquake broke the water mains and the fire is what destroyed the city.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  San Francisco historians refer to it as the great earthquake AND FIRE, with an emphasis on the fire. The earthquake broke the water mains and the fire is what destroyed the city.
                  As to the fire, what did the most damage was the broken gas mains and household gas lines. Remember, they were still using gas for lighting in the houses and businesses.

In the case of the Studebaker business; it looks to have been a flash-fire. Likely the gas lines broke and when the gas ignited it did the pictured damage. Fortunately, it didn't actually get anything to speak of burning in a way that produced a lasting conflagration.

The government employees trapped in the Treasury Building reported that the fire was so hot glass was literally melting out of the window frames. They were thankful for the cistern on the roof, so they had water to fight the fire with.
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

On this day (April 18) in 1906 San Francisco was struck by a devastating earthquake (estimated at a 7.9 on the Richter scale) that destroyed or burned much of the city and caused an estimated 3000 deaths. By comparison the great Chicago fire of Oct 1871 resulted in approx. 300 deaths. Studebaker had a major presence in SF at that time and had a large four story repository at 201 – 207 Market Street. It suffered considerable fire damage. Studebaker was quick to rebuild however. I am attaching some photos of the building both interior and exterior along with a few ads and color advertising cards from the era.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80309[/ATTACH]
                    This photo has a caption "san fran 1903" so it cannot be from the April 18, 1906 earthquake and fire.

Plus, the building is barely touched by fire and has no structural damage...not something one would expect from this quake that devastated San Francisco.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                      This photo has a caption "san fran 1903" so it cannot be from the April 18, 1906 earthquake and fire.

Plus, the building is barely touched by fire and has no structural damage...not something one would expect from this quake that devastated San Francisco.
                      Mystery solved!

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post

I'm quoting my post because I remembered something. Every building on Market Street was gutted by fire, but the Palace Hotel held out the longest.

The Palace Hotel, only a few blocks west of the Studebaker building, had its own water supply. Employees on the roof manning hoses managed to keep the fire away for hours, but invariably the water ran out, flames began licking at the building, within an hour, it was gutted.

It was so badly damaged that it had to be torn down. A new hotel was erected and opened in 1909, it stands there today.

Comment

Working...
                        X