X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level check Automatic transmission

Hi there,

I own a 1955 Studebaker President.
    I just changed the oil (ATF-A) of the automatic transmission.
    Now I have a question about the correct procedure of the oil level check.
    My maintenance book describe that I have to set the shift lever into L and let become the oil warm. Than I have to check the oil level with the car still in L and running engine.
    Is this the correct way?
    My problem is, it is not possible to read the oil level with engine running in L. The oil sprays all over the dip stick, so a correct level is not readable.

How do you check the oil level?

Martin

Yes it is a bit of a chore. Warm up engine, go through all positions. Check fluid level in Drive, it should be relatively calm. It will spatter in neutral and probably in other gears. It helps if someone else checks while you keep your foot on the brake.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
      Yes it is a bit of a chore. Warm up engine, go through all positions. Check fluid level in Drive, it should be relatively calm. It will spatter in neutral and probably in other gears. It helps if someone else checks while you keep your foot on the brake.
      The "Studebaker Automatic Drive" manual states to check it in L (at idle and warm).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just for your information:
        In this Country the only Type 'A" that is available is a poor quality "replacement" for the real deal that smells like recycled, burned Oil.

Because this Type is SO Old and obsolete, it no longer has a DOT or SAE "Spec" and anything can be sold as Type "A".
        It is also VERY hard to find and we seriously avoid it, and Use the easily found Ford and Borg Warner equivalent Type "F" instead.

So I do not know what they are using in Germany, in their older Mercedes Benz Cars with Detroit Gear and Borg Warner's, but the newer formulas (Type "F") are better, even Dexron II, III etc.

To correctly check the Level if it continues to splash out with the idle as slow as possible in Low Gear, I would drain some out (maybe a Qt.) as it must be too full, and THEN check it, and add if needed.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The ATF A here in Germany is a high quality transmission fluid

I will check the level again when I get back the President from the shop where it is at the moment to get new tires and the inspection to get it road legal in Germany.

Comment

It's a little awkward holding the brake pedal while checking the dipstick.
            If the parking brake is properly adjusted it can be used; or easing the front bumper against a wall or tree also works.
            And I've used nothing but Dexron/Mercon in my DG200s for the almost half century I've been running them.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Heres some more info on the DG250 in your 55 President.

There was a noticeable improvement in operation of the transmission in my 55 when I changed the oil last year.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                It's a little awkward holding the brake pedal while checking the dipstick.
                If the parking brake is properly adjusted it can be used; or easing the front bumper against a wall or tree also works./Cut/
                I always have some 1 ft. or less 4X4 Fir cutoffs laying around the Shop just for blocking wheels, they work perfectly fine, never had a slow idling Car run over one yet.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by JimKB1MCV View Post
                  Heres some more info on the DG250 in your 55 President.

There was a noticeable improvement in operation of the transmission in my 55 when I changed the oil last year.
                  Thanks for this link.
                  There are some good infos in

Comment

Don't seem to have a problem if I run it a bit, put it inpark and turn it off--then check fluid. As y'all say it is really difficult to step on brake and check fluid level at the same time. Or you can wait for it to make that funny buzzing noise and annd a pint or two!!

Comment

That funny buzzing sound is possibly the sound of internal distress. You would be better off, and so would your transmission, by checking the fluid level more regularly.

My neighbor has a modern car and had a leak in one of her tires. She just waited until the electronic tire pressure monitor said the tire was low and then went to the gas station and put some air in. I explained that she was wearing out the tire prematurely, that she could get into an unsafe condition on a long freeway drive, and convinced her that the repair was simple and to get it done now. She got it fixed and now can continue happily ignoring the car.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

REALLY! NOBODY has a short 4X4 OR A Proper Wheel Chock!

StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When the Detroit Gear transmission was first introduced the manual stated to use
                          #10W Motor oil.

Last edited by rkapteyn; 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                            Don't seem to have a problem if I run it a bit, put it inpark and turn it off--then check fluid. As y'all say it is really difficult to step on brake and check fluid level at the same time. Or you can wait for it to make that funny buzzing noise and annd a pint or two!!
                            It doesn't sound to me like you are referring to the early DG series of transmissions that are the topic here.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X