looking at my next Studebaker, I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking at my next Studebaker, I think

I am thinking about bringing home a '65 Daytona, ( I believe), two door sedan that I have known about for a few years. It has the Chevrolet inline six and three speed stick shift transmission. Someone has robbed the steering box and column, along with the steering wheel and shift linkage but the seller has a parts car with all the parts to replace the missing stuff. The '65 is factory brown and appears to have had a "fake" lighter colored vinyl top. The body is in good condition with only minor damage to one rear quarter panel, just behind the door. I have not checked on the condition of the engine but I hope that it is not stuck. If not, I would be willing to rebuild it. I am looking for the correct wheel covers for my '52 Commander and when I find them I can use the ones that are on it now on the '65 as I believe they are "right" for the '65. Good enough reason to go get the '65, right?
    thom

yes yes and yes

Comment

four yeses....just don't tell the old lady!
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Was thinking that someone could have taken off those steering parts from that car so as to have them for a 59-60 Lark upgrade. I did that years ago and it was an easier to steer manual system. Still with out power I sold the car and bought one with PS.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I found some pics on my phone that I forgot about of the '65.
          Attached Files
          thom

Comment

The more I think on it , I'm not sure that car is a Daytona. It's definitely a two-door post sedan, with a Chevy six in it. But the body side moldings are about 5/8" wide and smooth, with no grooves running the length of them. (See the photo.)
            That sounds more like Commander trim, doesn't it? But I thought all '65 Commanders were V8s? No? I realize the engine could have been swapped, but it doesn't appear so. Not that it really make some difference, I just like the car.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by thom; 04-19-2019, 07:13 PM.
            thom

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
              The more I think on it , I'm not sure that car is a Daytona. It's definitely a two-door post sedan, with a Chevy six in it. But the body side moldings are about 5/8" wide and smooth, with no grooves running the length of them. (See the photo.)
              That sounds more like Commander trim, doesn't it? But I thought all '65 Commanders were V8, four-door sedans? No? Not that it really make some difference, I just like the car.
              It appears to be a Commander. For 1965 models, for two door models, there were six cylinder Commanders and V8 Commanders and Daytonas.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sometimes you have to realize that what is the most commonly SEEN is not ALL there is!

If there was a perceived niche Market out there, Studebaker would go for it!

'64 Commanders came in Sixes and Eights, 2 Door Sedans, 4 Door Sedans, Wagons and Wagonaires standard with 2 Headlights, with 4 Optional.

However Canadian built '65's are so rare in Commanders, without the Brochure handy, I would not know about the Wagons and Wagonaires not that it matters.

A Large majority of '65 & '66's, at least those imported to the U.S. seem to be Cruisers and Daytona Sports Sedans.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 04-19-2019, 07:45 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

All this may not matter anyway as the "seller" is unsure if he has the title for the car. He has promised to look for it. If he does not have it, and all the t's are not properly crossed and the i's are not dotted, me BEING in North Carolina, I cannot buy and register the car. Then the car is worth , currently $6.25 per 100 pounds of weight, or parts value. Except, actually most scrap yards won't accept a vehicle without proof of ownership, so I couldn't even scrap it without some paperwork!
                  Our DMV is great.
                  thom

Comment

Thom Titles can be gotten. So you only have to junk it if you want to.

Comment

I'd be shocked if that car has any floors or trunk left !

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Sometimes you have to realize that what is the most commonly SEEN is not ALL there is!

If there was a perceived niche Market out there, Studebaker would go for it!

'64 Commanders came in Sixes and Eights, 2 Door Sedans, 4 Door Sedans, Wagons and Wagonaires standard with 2 Headlights, with 4 Optional.

However Canadian built '65's are so rare in Commanders, without the Brochure handy, I would not know about the Wagons and Wagonaires not that it matters.

A Large majority of '65 & '66's, at least those imported to the U.S. seem to be Cruisers and Daytona Sports Sedans.
                        For 1965, there were Commander Wagonaires (6 & V8). Also, there were Cruisers in both 6 & V8. Taxis were only sixes.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by thom View Post
                          All this may not matter anyway as the "seller" is unsure if he has the title for the car. He has promised to look for it. If he does not have it, and all the t's are not properly crossed and the i's are not dotted, me BEING in North Carolina, I cannot buy and register the car. Then the car is worth, currently $6.25 per 100 pounds of weight, or parts value. Except, actually most scrap yards won't accept a vehicle without proof of ownership, so I couldn't even scrap it without some paperwork!
                          Our DMV is great.
                          Is that decimal point in the right place?

If it is really worth $6.25 per 100 pounds of weight and, say, it weighs 2,800 pounds, then it's worth $17,500 as scrap! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Um... Mr. Palma? I believe you may have Wandering Decimal Syndrome. 2800 / 100 = 28 & 28 x $6.25 = $175.00

Comment

Either the buttons on his calculator are too close together, or his fingers are too far apart! Maybe he has sasquatch hands like I do.
                              And, I made the statement about not being able to register it here without proper paperwork because NC has the most difficult DMV to work with in lost or no title situations of any state in the USA. In rare cases a bonded title can be obtained but rarely. I know people who have spent months, or years trying to get a title and were unsuccessful. We gamble the purchase price when we buy a vehicle if everything is not just perfect with the title, because we might end up with yard art that can never be legally driven. Buying a vehicle from another state is especially risky. A lot of good cars and trucks go to the crusher here in NC because of the strict title requirements!
                              Two different people that I know, or know of, attempted to build a street rod by buying an aftermarket '32 Ford frame. When they contacted the manufacturer/seller ( 2 different ones) they were told that the NC DMV would not honor the "statement of origin" that is supplied with the frame and has the VIN on it. Any other state in the USA will honor that paperwork and, after inspecting it and the frame, to ascertain that the numbers match, will issue a title for the frame. Apparently not in NC. Both potential buyers were told that they could have friends or relatives in any other state buy the frame or allow the buyer to use their address then possibly transfer ownership to NC. One friend, now deceased, traded a Model A coupe street rod for a '39 Ford street rod at a rod-run in Pigeon Forge TN a few years ago. After getting the '39 home, and about 2 years later the NC DMV finally issued him (and her, his wife) a title for a 2017 REPLICA, although the car was an all steel bodied car. Life for old car enthusiasts in NC is great!
                              thom

Comment

Working...
                              X