Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it take to ship a rim/steel wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take to ship a rim/steel wheel?

I've been slowly working toward obtaining a replacement set of stock Studebaker steel wheels, one of those if it happens, it happens, kind of things. I've got mopar wheels on my Lark now but want a set of stock wheels if needed.

What do the shippers demand now when a steel wheel is shipped? When I bought a set of Champ half ton rims from Tom K. more than 20 years ago he just wrapped each wheel and tire with industrial plastic wrap, stuck a label on each and shipped them.

Do shippers demand everything be boxed and packed to prevent shifting. I've been in contact with private parties about wheels but shipping tends to be a deal breaker.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

The last set of new wheels that I purchased, and had shipped to me, were all individually packaged in cardboard boxes. The weight is the problem. I wonder if they would fit (individually) in one of the flat rate USPS boxes (I doubt it, but have not checked).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jeff,
      I travel Greyhound and they do ship heavy and large auto parts. I've seen front fenders shipped in nothing more than bubble wrap and a shipping label. Downside, is that Greyhound doesn't service every town in America.
      Rick

Comment

BP shipped some not long ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...al-road-wheels

Craig

Comment

Fastenal is in the shipping business. Store to store,you have to pick up. I would think steel wheels would be a safe bet to ship and not be too concerned about damage. Check them out.
          JLB

Comment

If you are shipping within the surrounding states Spee Dee Delivery is fast and reasonable.

Comment

Distance is key in determining shipping cost of any Carrier. As a gage of measure I recently boxed/shipped a 15" steel rim from Georgia to a northeastern state (can't remember which) through UPS for $35. UPS will also box it for additional cost which sellers like at the other end since all they have to do is drop it off. UPS then contacts the buyer for payment information.

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
                Fastenal is in the shipping business. Store to store,you have to pick up. I would think steel wheels would be a safe bet to ship and not be too concerned about damage. Check them out.
                JLB
                Fastenal does not cover everywhere. I do not know of any of their stores within MANY miles of here.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Fastenal does not cover everywhere. I do not know of any of their stores within MANY miles of here.
                  There is one in Hopewell Junction.
                  Chip
                  '63 Cruiser
                  '57 Packard wagon
                  '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                  '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                    There is one in Hopewell Junction.
                    That is news to me. Perhaps it goes under a different name or is part of a store that I know. I guess that I will have to look it up.

EDIT: I googled them and found locations in East Fishkill (Hopewell Junction address) and the Town of Poughkeepsie. They are both in corporate parks and are listed as; "
                    Fastener supplier". I wonder if this is a retail store location or just a supplier to the businesses in that area?
                    Last edited by studegary; 04-06-2019, 07:20 AM.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I've had good luck (and cheap prices) shipping bulky things via Greyhound.
                      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Jeff, If you don't mind driving the 50 miles up to Omaha I will give you a set of '63 Lark rims with tires for free. They were on our '63 Daytona that we sold a couple of years ago. I had changed it over to Ford rims.
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank,

Thank you, I'll take you up on your offer.

I'll follow up with a PM

Jeff
                          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                          The Replacements.

Comment

AND the Forum comes Thru AGAIN!

Comment

Working...
                            X