For the first time....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the first time....

...I can remember, there are far more Packards for sale on e-bay (59) than Studebakers (40).

And there is a greater proportion of pre-1955 Packards than usual. Interesting; the times they are a changing. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I think that the increased proclivity of Packards is more due to greater exposure (popular culture, social media, etc.) than it is demographics. Packards, like Studebakers, are by and large cars for the grey haired crowd.
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      ...I can remember, there are far more Packards for sale on e-bay (59) than Studebakers (40).

And there is a greater proportion of pre-1955 Packards than usual. Interesting; the times they are a changing. BP
      I can remember when Model A Fords, although ancient, were popular and in demand, along with '32 Ford coupes. A bit later two-passenger T-Birds and early Corvettes were hot sellers. Today, not so much.

What I think is, people who have reached the age when they can afford cars they lusted after when they were teen-aged drive the market, and demand lessens when those folks get old.

I wouldn't buy anything from the fifties or earlier with an eye towards appreciation, and sixties cars are headed downhill too.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
        I wouldn't buy anything from the fifties or earlier with an eye towards appreciation, and sixties cars are headed downhill too.
        With very few exceptions, seventies cars never went uphill in the first place. I would still buy a sixties car over anything seventies or eighties.

Craig

Comment

A few Packards must have Sold for a LOT of money at Barrett-Jackson Auction!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Stude Shoo-wop! View Post
            I think that the increased proclivity of Packards is more due to greater exposure (popular culture, social media, etc.) than it is demographics. Packards, like Studebakers, are by and large cars for the grey haired crowd.
            I attended the "Run To The Sun" car show in Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago with my '65 Cruiser. There were 2300 cars on the last of the three day event. There quite a few of both Studebakers and Packards. Some of each were bone stock and many were modified. The grey hair folk were certainly present among both groups, but rest assured there were many younger among the owners of these two brands as well.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I saw that 57 lavender and white Packard wagon that Wayne Carini bought at auction and later sold for a bit of a loss IIRC. I thought he paid too much....45K?

I saw where it sold recently for like 25K which seems too low.

very pretty car though!
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

JRoberts, you missed a few. Actually there were 3300+ cars & truck registered. Our '55 Studebaker truck was one of them. I'm one of the grey hair/no hair & beard folk.

Happy motorin' to you & yourn'.
                thom

Comment

Working...
                X