Fuel pump, switch and ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Fuel pump, switch and ignition

So I've read lots of threads about installing an electric fuel pump in place of the mechanical pump as well as using the electric pump just for cold starting if the vehicle (truck in my case) has been sitting for awhile. The consensus seems to be not to run an electric fuel pump while also using the mechanical fuel pump. I have also been told running the two together would not be an issue but many comments seem to oppose this.

What I would like to do and maybe others have done this as well but I haven't read anything about it is I would like to install a toggle switch for the electric fuel pump but have it powered by the ignition switch. So the toggle switch would only have power when I turn the key in the ignition and even when there is power from the ignition I can turn off the electric pump with the added switch. This would ensure that even if I forgot to turn off the electric pump it would not run once I turned off the truck, thus making sure I didn't flood the carbs by accident. Does this make sense? Or maybe this is how everyone wires their switches?

My 62 Champ Electric pump is wired that way. I only use it a few
    times a year.

Comment

By all means wire it through the ign switch. You can then add a momentary or toggle switch in the hot wire, so it will run only when you are certain you want it on.

Comment

Do not wire it to ign. terminal. They are great for 'priming' a car that has set for a Minnesota winter (for-freakin-ever!) If you wire it to the ign terminal you need switch on to run the pump and the time it takes to prime the mech fuel pump and carb could be enough time to burn the ign points. Don't use a vane type pump-they are cheap but not self priming. Remember a filter up-stream from the pump. If you convert and remove mech, pump, use a safety switch in case of accident. Wire the elec fuel pump to acc. circuit so you can switch ign switch to acc to 'prime' it if it has set for more than a few days. Be sure to fuse it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
          Do not wire it to ign. terminal. They are great for 'priming' a car that has set for a Minnesota winter (for-freakin-ever!) If you wire it to the ign terminal you need switch on to run the pump and the time it takes to prime the mech fuel pump and carb could be enough time to burn the ign points.
          This makes no sense to me. I have had both mechanically fuel injected and carburetted cars with electric fuel pumps. In both cases, when cold, I turn the ignition switch to the first position to engage the electric fuel pump, wait 10 or 15 seconds to prime the system and then turn the ignition over to engage the starter. How is that different from what I am proposing? I have never burnt out any points and the starting instructions for these cars is exactly as I describe it. I have a gear driven pump and have filters before the pump and before the carbs as well as an in-line fuse. The mechanical pump would stay in place.

Comment

I just did this on my '55 President. I turn the pump on when I start the car after it has sat for a while. The toggle switch is wired through the ignition switch so I don't accidently leave the pump turned on. I turn on the ignition, turn on the pump, wait about 10 or 15 seconds and then start the car. I then turn the pump off. If I get distracted and forget to turn the pump off no harm done. It works just fine in tandem with the mechanical pump.
            I also turn the pump on when I'm sitting in traffic on a hot day and I get concerned about vapor lock. Or, if the engine begins to stumble on a hot day due to vapor lock. The engine smooths right out.
            The one difference on mine was using a 6 volt pump. My car was converted sometime in the past to 8 volts and I burned out the first pump I installed. When I installed a second 6 volt pump I also installed a voltage regulator block between the switch and the pump to dial down the voltage to 6 volts. It also prevents voltage spikes to the pump. The systems works great.
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by my2R5 View Post
              /Cut/How is that different from what I am proposing? I have never burnt out any points and the starting instructions for these cars is exactly as I describe it./Cut/
              Simple, Fuel Injected Cars have Electronic Ignition, and NO Points!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Simple, Fuel Injected Cars have Electronic Ignition, and NO Points!
                Sorry but you are wrong. Mechanical fuel injection still uses points.

Comment

Originally posted by my2R5 View Post
                  Sorry but you are wrong. Mechanical fuel injection still uses points.
                  So your Car is a 1962 Mercedes Benz?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    So your Car is a 1962 Mercedes Benz?
                    No, it's a 1966.

Comment

I just use a squirt bottle, but some times I forget where I put it. It has never flooded on me yet and works every time, even if the car sits for two years. The only draw back is I have to put fresh gas in the bottle now and then. I am never in such a hurry to start my Studebaker that I need to have a complex electric fuel pump system.

Comment

Working...
                      X