RM Auctions R2 Targa Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RM Auctions R2 Targa Sold

I was somewhat shocked to see the R2 sold at RM's Fort Lauderdale sale bring the money it did, $104,500.00 with the fee. It was a custom done by someone who installed a Targa Top on R-2833 "in the style of Raymond Loewy". It also had an aftermarket AC unit added where the surge tank would usually be though the interior work looks factory. Though the car look OK from a fast horse I think it is far from perfect, no pictures from underneath at all. I would have guessed this car to go for a lot less but it goes to show you never know with auctions.

Wow! I guess that it was just two people with money that really wanted to have that Avanti. As you say, auctions can go either high, low or market correct. We have a condo that is going to go up for absolute auction. We are concerned about having at least two "good" bidders.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      We are concerned about having at least two "good" bidders.
      When you state 'concerned', what are you implying? Are going to have an uneasy feeling the highest ends up paying far more than he should as per market value and condition of the unit? Or is this what you are hoping will happen for an unexpected bonanza?

(Photos of that car in the link here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p-63-R2-Avanti )

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 03-31-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        When you state 'concerned', what are you implying? Are going to have an uneasy feeling the highest ends up paying far more than he should as per market value and condition of the unit? Or is this what you are hoping will happen for an unexpected bonanza?

Craig
        Neither. My concern is that it sells for way too low of a price. I need at least two serious bidders that want the condo (not just to flip). As an example, a real estate person offered us less than one-half of the current market valuation estimate. That estimate may be off by a little bit, but not a factor of two. As an absolute auction, it will sell for whatever the high bid is.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          We have a condo that is going to go up for absolute auction. We are concerned about having at least two "good" bidders.
          That is pretty gutsy! Why would you choose that method? Soft market?
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            That is pretty gutsy! Why would you choose that method? Soft market?
            Yes it is (gutsy). It was recommended to me by a trusted, local real estate auctioneer. He thought that it would draw more serious buyers when they know that it will really sell and the auction company will likely put forth more of an effort to increase their commission knowing that it will sell. The condo is a nice one in Florida. We will not be using it and just want to eliminate the hassle and ongoing expense.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

General Studebaker Specific-Discussion......Condos?? Porsche’s??

Comment

When I first saw this ad I thought it was an April Fools joke. I would want my car with a complete top, but different strokes.....
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  General Studebaker Specific-Discussion......Porsche’s??
                  Good question!

The term, 'targa' is often used generically for a removable roof section above the doors, but the first Porsche Targa was 1967, and the rear window was plastic and folded down like a real convertible, but around 1969, the rear window was fixed glass just as proposed in the Avanti sketches with the removable top. Of course, the name "Targa" got trademarked by Porsche.

I wonder if Raymond Loewy studios or Studebaker actually had a name or a term for a removable roof version of the Avanti in the works.

Craig

Comment

It's more than obvious why Stude never did this!

Comment

Working...
                    X