PDA

View Full Version : Bob Palma & Dwain G.

tomnoller
10-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Bob & Dwain - What has been the toughest question you've been asked over the years, by TW readers? Any real stumpers?

Western Washington, USA

Dwain G.
10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Wow Tom, that's a tough one! I can't think of a specific question, but it would probably have to be one dealing with authenticity. When I volunteered for the column in 1980 I told Bob that I was a third generation Studebaker owner and a career auto mechanic although I had never worked for a Stude dealer, and perhaps didn't have the desired qualifications.
Sometimes our answers seem to miss the mark because we don't get all of the story from the car owner until later. I'll admit to tiring a little of what I call SBC syndrome, where the owner asks what late model front suspension, rear end, engine and automatic overdrive transmission will bolt into his car with no cutting, welding, or fabrication.
I really enjoy doing the column, have learned a LOT, and it's been a great excuse to purchase bunches of literature.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/53C.jpg
Dwain G.

Dwain G.
10-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Wow Tom, that's a tough one! I can't think of a specific question, but it would probably have to be one dealing with authenticity. When I volunteered for the column in 1980 I told Bob that I was a third generation Studebaker owner and a career auto mechanic although I had never worked for a Stude dealer, and perhaps didn't have the desired qualifications.
Sometimes our answers seem to miss the mark because we don't get all of the story from the car owner until later. I'll admit to tiring a little of what I call SBC syndrome, where the owner asks what late model front suspension, rear end, engine and automatic overdrive transmission will bolt into his car with no cutting, welding, or fabrication.
I really enjoy doing the column, have learned a LOT, and it's been a great excuse to purchase bunches of literature.

Dwain G.

Dick Steinkamp
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.
When I volunteered for the column in 1980 I told Bob that I was a third generation Studebaker owner and a career auto mechanic although I had never worked for a Stude dealer, and perhaps didn't have the desired qualifications.

As if! ;). I think if you look in the dictionary under "Studebaker Expert", Dwain's picture is there [^].

We missed you in Omaha, Dwain.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dick Steinkamp
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.
When I volunteered for the column in 1980 I told Bob that I was a third generation Studebaker owner and a career auto mechanic although I had never worked for a Stude dealer, and perhaps didn't have the desired qualifications.

As if! ;). I think if you look in the dictionary under "Studebaker Expert", Dwain's picture is there [^].

We missed you in Omaha, Dwain.

http://thenobot.org/images/s2d/s2d_01.jpg

Dwain G.
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Thank you Dick, I missed all of you guys too. It was a last minute decision to stay home, tend to a sick dog, try to get some paint on the house, and save some money.

Dwain G.

Dwain G.
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Thank you Dick, I missed all of you guys too. It was a last minute decision to stay home, tend to a sick dog, try to get some paint on the house, and save some money.

Dwain G.

BobPalma
10-12-2006, 09:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Bob & Dwain - What has been the toughest question you've been asked over the years, by TW readers? Any real stumpers?

Western Washington, USA

:) Generically, the toughest questions are those that deal with sounds and vibrations. Those items require senses that are difficult to communicate via the written or spoken word. One man's rod bearing knock is another man's timing gear slap, although they both say, "What's the knock in my engine?" [:I]

As Dwain said, not knowing "the rest of the story" complicates matters. Folks often -'way too often- forget to mention important things...like what type of transmission a car has, or even if it's a six or V-8! (seriously; it has happened!) :(

I'd say the biggest problem now is that our Studebakers are so old we can no longer assume anything as to what a member is working on. Virtually all of our vehicles have now been worked on, modified, patched, and often cobbled up by non-Studebaker "mechanics" or other personnel of dubious qualifications. [xx(] When members ask questions about any vehicle, answering is rendered more difficult because we have to try to factor in what might have been done to the vehicle outside normal Studebaker repair procedures, and account for as many variables as we can think of, that may have been introduced since the vehicle was built. [?]

The flip side of that coin is that everyone says their car is "all original," and, therefore, nobody has introduced any variables since their car was built...and we'd better not suggest anything to the contrary! [}:)]

(Just this week, I was forwarded an inquiry from someone with a 1962 Daytona hardtop -bucket seats standard, remember- with a 4-speed. The gentleman insisted it came from the factory with the bench-seat, dog-leg shifter common to 1961 Hawks and 1963-1964 non-bucket seat cars, but was not used on 1962 models. [:0]

The writer was sure his car was an exception when, in fact, someone probably just tore up the original straight shifter and a dog-leg had been used for a replacement for some reason. We have to be careful answering such inquiries because you don't want to offend anyone and, in fact, the deviation in question might have actually been a factory assembly after all. "Never say never" certainly applies to Studebakers; ask Dick Quinn!)

The toughest question? Hard to say, but I will say it dealt with either noise or vibration! :D BP

BobPalma
10-12-2006, 09:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by tomnoller

Western Washington, USA

:) Generically, the toughest questions are those that deal with sounds and vibrations. Those items require senses that are difficult to communicate via the written or spoken word. One man's rod bearing knock is another man's timing gear slap, although they both say, "What's the knock in my engine?" [:I]

As Dwain said, not knowing "the rest of the story" complicates matters. Folks often -'way too often- forget to mention important things...like what type of transmission a car has, or even if it's a six or V-8! (seriously; it has happened!) :(

I'd say the biggest problem now is that our Studebakers are so old we can no longer assume anything as to what a member is working on. Virtually all of our vehicles have now been worked on, modified, patched, and often cobbled up by non-Studebaker "mechanics" or other personnel of dubious qualifications. [xx(] When members ask questions about any vehicle, answering is rendered more difficult because we have to try to factor in what might have been done to the vehicle outside normal Studebaker repair procedures, and account for as many variables as we can think of, that may have been introduced since the vehicle was built. [?]

The flip side of that coin is that everyone says their car is "all original," and, therefore, nobody has introduced any variables since their car was built...and we'd better not suggest anything to the contrary! [}:)]

(Just this week, I was forwarded an inquiry from someone with a 1962 Daytona hardtop -bucket seats standard, remember- with a 4-speed. The gentleman insisted it came from the factory with the bench-seat, dog-leg shifter common to 1961 Hawks and 1963-1964 non-bucket seat cars, but was not used on 1962 models. [:0]

The writer was sure his car was an exception when, in fact, someone probably just tore up the original straight shifter and a dog-leg had been used for a replacement for some reason. We have to be careful answering such inquiries because you don't want to offend anyone and, in fact, the deviation in question might have actually been a factory assembly after all. "Never say never" certainly applies to Studebakers; ask Dick Quinn!)

The toughest question? Hard to say, but I will say it dealt with either noise or vibration! :D BP

tomnoller
10-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys! Your work is always insightful and shares double star billing with Dick's monthly column, with me. Diagnosing issues by mail just has to be tough, especially when you can't hear or see the patient. Rest assured, even when the advice you give doesn't help the writer, it does help others!

Western Washington, USA

tomnoller
10-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys! Your work is always insightful and shares double star billing with Dick's monthly column, with me. Diagnosing issues by mail just has to be tough, especially when you can't hear or see the patient. Rest assured, even when the advice you give doesn't help the writer, it does help others!

Western Washington, USA

Roscomacaw
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Dwain, I too missed meeting you at Omaha. Bob, I didn't miss you[}:)] ..... Of course, that's cause you were there.:D

Along the lines of what you guys are talking about, I had someone recently contact me about "the piece that the water pump attaches to" on a Wagonaire. Of course, I sorta deduced that they needed a water pump manifold and so it must be a V8. ( I guess they COULD have needed a OHV6 head!)
When we finally worked it out, what they really needed was a thermostat housing. A 4-hole housing no less (not original to a Wagonaire-vintage Stude!) as this particular car had been fitted with aftermarket AC somewhere along the way that must've been scavenged off an earlier vintage Stude.

In another instance of late, I answered the phone to find that a fella was seeking a generator for a 1951 Studebaker. I asked which engine it had and he replied that it didn't matter - a generator for a '51 would do.[8]
Yet another guy argued with me that his car had brakes for a car of an earlier vintage because Studebaker just bolted on whatever happened to be lying about and certainly someone had found some of the older style brakes and decided to not let them go to waste.[?][?][}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Dwain, I too missed meeting you at Omaha. Bob, I didn't miss you[}:)] ..... Of course, that's cause you were there.:D

Along the lines of what you guys are talking about, I had someone recently contact me about "the piece that the water pump attaches to" on a Wagonaire. Of course, I sorta deduced that they needed a water pump manifold and so it must be a V8. ( I guess they COULD have needed a OHV6 head!)
When we finally worked it out, what they really needed was a thermostat housing. A 4-hole housing no less (not original to a Wagonaire-vintage Stude!) as this particular car had been fitted with aftermarket AC somewhere along the way that must've been scavenged off an earlier vintage Stude.

In another instance of late, I answered the phone to find that a fella was seeking a generator for a 1951 Studebaker. I asked which engine it had and he replied that it didn't matter - a generator for a '51 would do.[8]
Yet another guy argued with me that his car had brakes for a car of an earlier vintage because Studebaker just bolted on whatever happened to be lying about and certainly someone had found some of the older style brakes and decided to not let them go to waste.[?][?][}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 12:06 PM
At least the Studebakers allow us to troubleshoot with our senses and some reasonable thought.

Not so with the newer cars. My wife's 2001 Buick has a tendency to give false alarms such as "gas cap loose" and so far I have resisted the dealership "professional" help and the alarm goes away. The owners manual is not helpful to owner in these cases. The solution is always: Take it to your authorized Buick dealer.

Recently we had a warning beep that would go off every five minutes. And ever five minutes the wife would ask "What is that?"and ever five minutes I would answer: "IllbedamnedifIknow."
After a few days of this I finally fixed the problem by recharging her cell phone that was in the door pocket.

I did save a dealership repair cost and now have a pretty good grasp of what is in the owners manual.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 12:06 PM
At least the Studebakers allow us to troubleshoot with our senses and some reasonable thought.

Not so with the newer cars. My wife's 2001 Buick has a tendency to give false alarms such as "gas cap loose" and so far I have resisted the dealership "professional" help and the alarm goes away. The owners manual is not helpful to owner in these cases. The solution is always: Take it to your authorized Buick dealer.

Recently we had a warning beep that would go off every five minutes. And ever five minutes the wife would ask "What is that?"and ever five minutes I would answer: "IllbedamnedifIknow."
After a few days of this I finally fixed the problem by recharging her cell phone that was in the door pocket.

I did save a dealership repair cost and now have a pretty good grasp of what is in the owners manual.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Scott
10-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Is that THE Lark Parker? The famous author and fictional hero?

Scott
10-13-2006, 12:49 PM

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Scott

If you are paparazzi [8D] -- I can tell you where Ted Harbit and Bob Palma live.[}:)]

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM

If you are paparazzi [8D] -- I can tell you where Ted Harbit and Bob Palma live.[}:)]

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Scott
10-13-2006, 04:48 PM
No, not papparazzi, just a literary connoiseur. How's the beautiful Daytona doing?

Scott
10-13-2006, 04:48 PM
No, not papparazzi, just a literary connoiseur. How's the beautiful Daytona doing?

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 06:48 PM

She has slowed considerably because of diabetes and a bad back. It limits which events we go to now. She contends that a margerita is good for both ailments. We just went to our 49th Anniversary dinner this eve. (I was a child bride.)

I installed Cougar bucket seats in her 55 Commander but traveling is still limited. I'm sure the purists wince at the bucket seats but that doesn't bother me. The original seats are in storage for the day it finds a new owner.

We are getting way off thread, but thanks for asking.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Lark Parker
10-13-2006, 06:48 PM

She has slowed considerably because of diabetes and a bad back. It limits which events we go to now. She contends that a margerita is good for both ailments. We just went to our 49th Anniversary dinner this eve. (I was a child bride.)

I installed Cougar bucket seats in her 55 Commander but traveling is still limited. I'm sure the purists wince at the bucket seats but that doesn't bother me. The original seats are in storage for the day it finds a new owner.

We are getting way off thread, but thanks for asking.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Scott
10-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Glad you're still with us, Lark. Sorry about the beautiful Daytona, but at least she still gets out some. Say "hi" from a distant admirer.

We need new stories to initiate the newer members to the wonderful world of Lark Parker!

Scott
10-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Glad you're still with us, Lark. Sorry about the beautiful Daytona, but at least she still gets out some. Say "hi" from a distant admirer.

We need new stories to initiate the newer members to the wonderful world of Lark Parker!

BobPalma
10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Scott

:D AMEN to that, Scott! Lark Parker's reports from never-never land have been 'way too scarce of late. [xx(] Let's bring pressure to bear to have further tales! [}:)] BP

BobPalma
10-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Scott

:D AMEN to that, Scott! Lark Parker's reports from never-never land have been 'way too scarce of late. [xx(] Let's bring pressure to bear to have further tales! [}:)] BP

Lark Parker
10-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I think Ted Harbit is looking for a good title for his book on Studebaker speed. Maybe some suggestions here would be just what he needs. That's the way the Stude/Stewed Tomato was named.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Lark Parker
10-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I think Ted Harbit is looking for a good title for his book on Studebaker speed. Maybe some suggestions here would be just what he needs. That's the way the Stude/Stewed Tomato was named.

Lark Parker
aka Trim Trader
Frankfort IN

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I started a good account of Lark's early years. Would anyone protest if I brought that project back to life?[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
10-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I started a good account of Lark's early years. Would anyone protest if I brought that project back to life?[}:)]

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

BobPalma
10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

:D Excellent idea, Bob! The first installment should be an account of Lark's tractor pull adventure at K-Mart, I think it was. (That is, if you are talking about the previous Lark Parker episodes. If you are talking about new episodes from your own vantage point, that would be good, too.) :)

Really, so many people on the Forum, here, do not know the fertile depths of Lark Parker's imagination that even an individual story posting would garner many new Lark Parker enthusiasts. [:p] Go for it...soon! ;) BP

BobPalma
10-14-2006, 02:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle!!

:D Excellent idea, Bob! The first installment should be an account of Lark's tractor pull adventure at K-Mart, I think it was. (That is, if you are talking about the previous Lark Parker episodes. If you are talking about new episodes from your own vantage point, that would be good, too.) :)

Really, so many people on the Forum, here, do not know the fertile depths of Lark Parker's imagination that even an individual story posting would garner many new Lark Parker enthusiasts. [:p] Go for it...soon! ;) BP

Scott
10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry I pulled the thread off topic, but I had to see if it was really Lark posting and not a wannabe.

I love the way Turning Wheels has developed over the last 15 years at least, but there are two things I wish it had more of now 1) reprints or updates on early feature articles by Mr. Fox and 2) Lark Parker stories. I read the one about tracking down the elusive Cabover truck to my wife and she thought it funny depite the fact it was about Studebakers (that says a lot, coming from her). Technically, TW wasn't as finished and glitsy as we see it now, but the content was a great compensator. I should also include Adventures in Monomania, which has always been one of my favorites, too.

It would be fun to have a few "best of" moments from the Cooperator, too.

Scott
10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Sorry I pulled the thread off topic, but I had to see if it was really Lark posting and not a wannabe.

I love the way Turning Wheels has developed over the last 15 years at least, but there are two things I wish it had more of now 1) reprints or updates on early feature articles by Mr. Fox and 2) Lark Parker stories. I read the one about tracking down the elusive Cabover truck to my wife and she thought it funny depite the fact it was about Studebakers (that says a lot, coming from her). Technically, TW wasn't as finished and glitsy as we see it now, but the content was a great compensator. I should also include Adventures in Monomania, which has always been one of my favorites, too.

It would be fun to have a few "best of" moments from the Cooperator, too.