R2 Head Casting Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2 Head Casting Number

I have offered up for sale a pair of heads that came off of a 63 GT R2. I took these off many years ago and want to make sure they are as advertised. the number is 1557582. Are these correct R2 heads. Also, any idea what they are worth? Thanks for your help.

Jim Rice

Jim, the # is correct. Are these heads just as when taken off the engine or have they had work done to them? If they are totally stock and in need of rebuilding the value will not be as much as if they were ready to be installed. I bought a set of bare heads in the factory crates a few years ago and paid $200 for the pair. The value of yours is going to be what someone is willing to pay for them. I'm sure someone else will chime in and give you a good idea what to look for in their value. Bill

Comment

It depends upon whether someone has a need for R2 heads. They are more crack prone than standard heads; partly because of the larger chamber and partly because the supercharger puts more heat and possible detonation in them. Have yours been magnafluxed and pressure tested? Never pay to ship core heads which have not been guaranteed sound; BTDTNA

SI no longer has the 1557582 heads in their catalog and are asking $120 each for the more common heads.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Also not as good for heavy porting/reshaping.
        Partly what Jack states, and also uneven port wall thickness compared to other casting numbers.
        Fine if left mostly stock. Can have some beneficial reshaping work done to them without problem.

Mike

Comment

Thanks to everyone's comments. Nice to know they are correct. I don't know if any work had ever been done on the heads. When I bought the car I decided to have the drive train rebuilt locally but went with heads from Ted Harbit rather than have a local machine shop possibly screw these up. Several people have inquired so I will let them make me an offer and see where we go. I just sold the car so now no need for these. Again, thanks for the help.
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
            Thanks to everyone's comments. Nice to know they are correct. I don't know if any work had ever been done on the heads. When I bought the car I decided to have the drive train rebuilt locally but went with heads from Ted Harbit rather than have a local machine shop possibly screw these up. Several people have inquired so I will let them make me an offer and see where we go. I just sold the car so now no need for these. Again, thanks for the help.
            Jim
            There's hundreds of dollars of difference between used core R2 heads and ready-to-run R2 heads built by TH. Better take some photos and define exactly what you're selling.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

gt -

If I read your posts correctly...
              If they are done by Ted, a few pictures would be a very good start to guesstimate a price for them.

Mike

Comment

Mike, he said he went with heads from Ted Harbit rather than have a local machine shop screw these up...

Comment

Originally posted by gthawkr2 View Post
                  I have offered up for sale a pair of heads that came off of a 63 GT R2. I took these off many years ago and want to make sure they are as advertised. the number is 1557582. Are these correct R2 heads. Also, any idea what they are worth? Thanks for your help.

Jim Rice
                  I sent you a PM
                  james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                  X