Our hearts are heavy. RIP Bob Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our hearts are heavy. RIP Bob Canada

Southwest Zone Director, Bob Canada suffered a massive heart attack Saturday and passed late yesterday. I’ve spoken w Helen Canada’s daughter, Paula. Arrangements are pending but Paula thinks that Friday would be the day. I will keep all of you posted on this tragic and very unexpected terrible news.

This was previouslly posted in the Obituaries section of this SDC Forum. It is probably good here to get more exposure.

Sorry for the loss of this nice guy. I first met him when we ate together at an SDC International Convention several years ago.

EDIT: That is a nice obituary. I was surprised to learn that he was younger than I am.
    Last edited by studegary; 03-21-2019, 06:45 AM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Tom, there are not many "worker Bee's" like Bob left, willing to help direct the Club and put on Events.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had the pleasure to meet Bob just last month during a visit he made to Fort Worth and a meeting North Texas of the SDC. Seemed like a real go getter and true Ambassador for Studebakers. He will be genuinely missed by so many.
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Those who may recognize a face and not a name.

This is a picture of Bob at last year's Tulsa Zone Meet. He could be pretty serious at times but often there was a smile on his face. I am sure this laugh was brought on during the auctioning of items the night of the banquet. The auctioneer, Dr. Richard Allen, can squeeze blood out of a turnip at these auctions. The Northeast Oklahoma Club, The South Central Zone and the Studebaker Marque has lost a good man. One of the local TV stations had a segment highlighting his retirement ceremony at Oral Roberts University (ORU) a few weeks ago. He had been an instructor and head golf coach for many years. A room in the athletic center was named for him. He was going to retire at the end of the current semester. He said in an interview with the reporter that he felt it was time to step aside for the younger generation. Little did we know at the time it was going to be so permanent

Charlie D.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1725741
          Last edited by Charlie D; 03-18-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Very sorry to learn of Bob's passing. He was a real gentleman and was recently elected to his third term as National Director. He will be missed.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              Very sorry to learn of Bob's passing. He was a real gentleman and was recently elected to his third term as National Director. He will be missed. Stu Chapman
              What Stu said; such a loss to the hobby and SDC. Best to Bob's family. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I met Bob at last years board meeting. Truly a nice and refined gentleman with a constant smile. This will impact the next board meeting in Ohio. My condolences to his family. RIP Bob.

Bob Miles
                Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Visitation for Bob Canada will be 6-8pm, Thursday, March 21 at Oral Roberts University Aerobics Center.

Funeral Services will be at 10:00am, Friday, March 22at Southern Hills Baptist Church. 5590 South Lewis Ave, Tulsa, OK

Comment

Words cannot express my feelings and emotions as for the phone call I received late Sunday night from the Grandson of Bob. Bob has been a blessing to me over the past ten years. His demeanor, smile, always jovial and positive attitude have been an uplifting voice in time of need. Bob, I'll miss our calls and conversations when we were able to be together. Diana and I send our best to your family and relatives. All are in our thoughts and prayers as we all grieve your loss.

Don Jones
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Robert Franklin Canada. Age 77 passed away March 17th 2019 at St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Bob was born April 13th 1941 in Lexington, Tennessee, the son of Hugh & Zora Canada. He graduated from Parsons (TN) High School in 1959 then joined the U.S. Army Reserves in 1966. Bob Canada served with a specialty as a 96C20 Interrogator and was honorably discharged six years later in 1972. Bob received a B.S. in Recreation from Memphis State University in 1968 and was awarded a Master's in Education from MSU in 1973.

From 1962-1970, Bob worked in various capacities for the Memphis Parks Commission. In 1971 Bob was hired as the Superintendent for the Tuscaloosa Parks Department in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In 1972 he returned to Memphis and served as the Executive Director of the Mason East YMCA until 1977. In 1977, Bob became the Athletic Director at Shelby State Community College until 1990, where he also served as a teacher, tennis coach, and golf coach. As golf coach, Coach Canada earned multiple "Coach of the Year" honors and won several conference championships. In 1993 Coach Robert Canada was inducted to the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame.

In 1990, Bob met his future wife Dr. Helen Inbody and moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma. In May of 1991 Bob and Helen were married. That same year, Bob accepted the job as Summer School Director at Oral Roberts University. Shortly after, he became the Head Men's Golf Coach at ORU and served in that capacity from 1991-2006. He was named conference coach of the year 5 times and led the Golden Eagles to the NCAA tournament four times. Coach Canada was also the Head Women's Golf Coach at ORU from 1993-1995. During his time at ORU he was also an associate professor from 1994-2019. In February of this year, he was honored by Oral Roberts University with the creation of the Bob Canada Conference Room inside the ORU Aerobic Center.
                      Bob Canada was passionate about his faith, helping others and serving in his church. Bob had a heart for those disadvantaged or in need. He could often be found lending a hand to a stranger, visiting a friend or an acquaintance in the hospital or simply dropping off a bag of groceries for a family. He was deeply involved with his men's small group Bible study and he supported numerous charities including The Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Harvest House. Coach Canada served on mission trips to England and China sharing The Gospel through the game of golf. Bob used the game of golf throughout his life as a platform to teach, communicate and establish meaningful relationships with literally thousands of men, women and children, as well as the hundreds of student athletes he coached and taught. His living testimony was one of kindness, approachability, generosity, respect and friendship. Coach Canada was a man of influence and he left a positive mark on people's lives all over the world.

Some of Bob's many interests and hobbies included playing golf, trout fishing, cars, bartering, nutrition and health. He had a love for Studebaker's and owned several. He was the past president of the Tulsa Studebaker Club and later elected to the International Studebaker Association as a Board member and officer. After years of study in health and nutrition, Bob earned the title of Doctor of Naturopathy in March of 2004 from The College of Natural Health. Bob loved his hobbies, Bob loved his friends, and Bob loved his family.

Bob is survived by his wife of nearly 28 years, Dr. Helen Inbody, his sister Donna Rhodes, his son Michael Canada, and step children; Marcia Lewis, Paula Inbody and Paul Inbody Jr. Grandchildren Sarah Canada, Michael Canada Jr., Keenon Canada, Chris Tunnell, Emily Henderson, Jeffrey Reavis, Paul Inbody III, Rachel Wendler and Shelby Inbody. Great grandchildren Gabriella Carrasco, Hayden Carrasco, Jordan Freeman, Bailey Tunnell, Frankie Tunnell, Jack Henderson, Gracie Henderson, Oliver Reavis, Paul Inbody IV and Paige Kate Inbody.

Comment

What a "neat" guy, Don. Thank you for the comprehensive obituary.

Such a loss to not only Studebakerdom, but the world! He surely rests in peace, getting caught up with Ron Hall and all the faithful who have gone before him. RIP, Bob. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob, thanks but this was from the Tulsa newspaper and probably written by his step daughter Paula. I thought it needed to be put here as BOB was just a great all round man. Loved him greatly as a brother. He was always a great voice of reason and I will miss him very much

Comment

Working...
                          X