"Chrome" Inside Roof Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: "Chrome" Inside Roof Bows

Can anyone tell me if the chrome roof bows in a 63 GT, or for that matter ANY chrome Studebaker roof bows, will fit or can be modified to fit a 56 Hawk?...

Aren't the '56 Sky/Golden Hawk ones, just Stainless Steel like the '62 to '64 GT Hawks?

Of course those will not fit the different contour roof, at least the rear half would not anyway.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

STUDERICH - The 3 bows on my Sky Hawk are plastic and really brittle. I seem to remember, on the Forum, that a Dodge Van or some such had SS bows which could be modified to fit...

Comment

1962-1964 GT Hawks used chrome plated steel bows (I have a 62GT). The 56J bows are plastic and can be substituted from either a rare International SUV or a MoPar van. At the time I bought my bows in 1996 they were MoPar P/N 5AJ92MD5 and had another number on the box, OL830HW6. Although they were white and I had a P8448 Rose Mist interior, the bows were easily painted with a taupe-shade spray paint used for vinyl. I liked them because they were just slightly wider than the OEM bows and made it easier to align the headliner panels on my former Mocha and Doeskin 56J.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Headliner, New.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1725719

Repainted for a better match.

Name:	56J headliner, 12-08.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1725732
        Last edited by 56GH; 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM. Reason: More info
        Bill L.
        1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Hope these photos might help you if this is what you were referring to..?

Name:	IMGP0397.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1725721 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0398.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1725722Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0467.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1725723 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0382.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1725724
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
            1962-1964 GT Hawks used chrome plated steel bows (I have a 62GT). The 56J bows are plastic and can be substituted from either a rare International SUV or a MoPar van. At the time I bought my bows in 1996 they were MoPar P/N 5AJ92MD5 and had another number on the box, OL830HW6. Although they were white and I had a P8448 Rose Mist interior, the bows were easily painted with a taupe-shade spray paint used for vinyl. I liked them because they were just slightly wider than the OEM bows and made it easier to align the headliner panels on my former Mocha and Doeskin 56J.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79476[/ATTACH]

the steel is stainless, not plated steel. 62-3-4 Hawk
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
              the steel is stainless, not plated steel. 62-3-4 Hawk
              I have to wonder which stainless grade they are since mine are strongly magnetic.
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
              X