Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Packard Clipper engine, transmission color.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1957 Packard Clipper engine, transmission color.

My 57 Packard has 33,000 orignal miles on it. The engine has never been apart. The block is stamped LS381. With the exception of the black supercharger and air cleaner, everything is an olive green color including the valve covers and automatic transmission. Even the distributor and SC pressure chamber is green. I removed the heads for a valve job and noticed behind the water pump and other areas you can see turquoise. It looks like the engine was painted green hastily over the turquoise at the factory. Who can shed some light on this one!

I too have one and I repainted it the correct turquoise and it looks great. The green may be the faded color.
    Bill

Comment

Just sounds like standard procedure for an Auto Repair Shop Overhaul, Rebuild or Valve Grind with engine out, maybe for Trans. work as well, OR an "owner" backyard job.
      It would be easy to understand that happening after 61 Years!

The Olive Green was widely known to be a Studebaker Engine color, but only on 1947 to 1954 Cars and Trucks.
      Since you found the original Turquoise Green, there is no doubt that is what it was originally.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 03-14-2019, 09:50 AM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

61 years.... that is a long time. Anything could of happened in that amount of time. The cylinder bores have no ridges at the top but all the exhaust valves were burnt and seals hard. I will check the bore size and see if their oversized. I want to paint it the color when it left the factory. Are there any other Packardbaker owners with green engines? If not I will paint everything turquoise. Thanks.

Comment

My Clipper was one owner car when I got it and it was painted turquoise
          Attached Files

Comment

To answer your question, there are a very Few Late 1957 Studebakers and Packards that were the very Last of the year model Cars, and did get engines planned for 1958 Cars, so they had the '58 to 1961 Aluminum Silver Paint on them.

But absolutely NO Green ones.

You could clean the Tops of a few Pistons and look for a ".030" Stamped into them, or other Oversize numbers indicating a Re-bore. If not, it was probably a Re-Ring Job.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 03-14-2019, 03:27 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks. I'm probably going to pull the motor and really inspect it and see if it is good to run or rebuild it. It will be painted turquoise.

Comment

Thanks. I know now to paint it turquoise. I will inspect everything and take measurements to make sure the bottom end is ok. Still has the stock bore. The amount of green paint on the engine with no overspray on the car leads me to believe that it was removed at one point and painted with whatever was on the shelf.

Comment

Mine is silver or Al colored, but it is a very late 57; they switched colors late in the model year. Yours in a much earier one so it would be turquoise

Comment

Working...
                  X