DG200 Different question, new problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG200 Different question, new problem

I have looked at the manuals, tried multiple things out recommended and every time I try to make things better I go backwards. As some know I have been trying to get rid of the backfire and stutter. Someone suggested I move the timing more advanced and it seemed to help. Today I changed out the points to a Pertronix system and coil. I knew I might have to reset the timing. Here is the DG200 question. Since installing the pertronix. when shifting to reverse or drive the car shutters. Now that may be the governor adjustment which I will try. Also the car really clanks when shifted from N to D or D to R and back again. A very hard clank. What could cause that with the conversion to Pertronix? Is that the governor linkage adjustment again? The car is still overfilled and that needs to be fixed also.
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Is the idle now set at the correct RPM?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Idle fluctuates between 600-650
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

A very hard clank shifting from N to D is often a loose U-joint. Usually the front one goes first.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It could also be a broken flex plate. The u-joints are a lot easier.
          Rob

Comment

Take a look at the carrier bearing as well. Mine is getting loose and it too makes a bit a clunk when going between gears.
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Is it just coincidence then that it happened after I installed the Pertronix? Like when I installed the new fuel pump the car begins to stutter and backfire. Every time I try to make improvements something suddenly goes wrong. It does not make clunks when the car shifts between 2nd and third when driving. Just at stand still.
              62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Start with u joints, check on a hoist, driver in car, mechanic listening and observing below. Slop in rear differential? Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                X