Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

37 Rear Fenders.. Interchange? New Info..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 Rear Fenders.. Interchange? New Info..

Do 37 rear fenders swap out between Coupe, Sedan and Coupe Express? I'm looking for a pair, but need to know what swaps onto a Coupe.
    Last edited by sals54; 03-07-2019, 10:24 PM.
    sals54

1936 1937 1938 had several models. The books can/will say one won't fit the other, sometimes because of just a pre drilled hole. I looked in the book, but don't know what model your car is. A couple good pictures may help.

The only part number that repeats that I see is 7A 8A also fit K5 coupe express station wagon whatever that was.
    Last edited by (S); 03-05-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Sals54
      The fenders on the 37 sedans and coupes are the same, the coupe express are slightly different but will fit. I have a sedan, coupe and a coupe express so I know they are interchangeable. I don't know about the 36 fenders but I suspect the are the same, the 38's are definitely different.
      Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Sals54
        The 36 fenders are the same as 37 except for the gas filler hole. The 36's fill on the drivers side and the 37's fill on the pass. side. The sedan fenders will work but the mounting holes to the body will have to be relocated. The 38 fenders have a sharper crease than the 36 and 37's. The 37 coupe express are the same as the 37 cars. 36 fenders will work on coupe express or coupes, same as stated above for the mounting holes. The body will cover the new drilled holes. Terry

Comment

When I purchased my 37 President coupe the drivers side rear had been damaged and the fender that was replaced did not fit correctly. I assumed that a sedan fender had been mounted on the car. I had to weld a strip of metal to the fender, fill old mounting holes and make new ones so it would match the passenger side fender.
          The replacement fender was the correct year as there was no hole for the gas fill tube. So my opinion is that coupe and sedan fenders are not the same.
          Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic. Thanks to all. That was fast. Exactly what I needed.
            sals54

Comment

Call Rene Harger.
              He makes fiberglass rear fenders for the Coupe Express.
              He can help you out with info...
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                Call Rene Harger.
                He makes fiberglass rear fenders for the Coupe Express.
                He can help you out with info...
                They are pretty nice also, a little reinforcement and I was very happy with the fiberglass replacements. You can also reconfigure the wheel opening which somehow did not center the wheel from the factory.....
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                  They are pretty nice also, a little reinforcement and I was very happy with the fiberglass replacements. You can also reconfigure the wheel opening which somehow did not center the wheel from the factory.....
                  I agree on the rear wheel location in the fender. I could never understand how a car could go from design to clay to mockup to production and not have someone of prominence, step back, and say,
                  "That rear wheel position sucks... fix it."
                  Mine will be fixed in a couple different ways. I plan to center the rear wheel in the fender opening and also move the front lip of the fender well to give it a more open look.
                  sals54

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
                    I was also satisfied with his fiberglass fenders I used on my 38 CE. They were very early production . I think I got the second or third pair he made. I have a pretty decent pair for the 37 I think I will use them but it would be a lot less work to go fiberglass.
                    Attached Files
                    Jerry (studeblu)
                    37 Coupe Express project
                    59 Pick up driver
                    40 President sedan driver

Comment

[QUOTE=studeblu;1148524]I was also satisfied with his fiberglass fenders I used on my 38 CE. They were very early production . I think I got the second or third pair he made. I have a pretty decent pair for the 37 I think I will use them but it would be a lot less work to go fiberglass.[/QUOTE

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180722_131911620_HDR.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1725645

I reconfigured the openings on mine (three times i think) and actually added about 3 inches to the inside front radius and centered the rear end.
                      sigpic

Comment

Since the President and Commander use the same body from the firewall back, but different frames I have wondered if the President rear wheels are centered while the Commander/Coupe Express are not. Then the explanation maybe the frame engineers made a late change and forgot to advise the Body Engineers of the change. Otto Klausmeyer would probably know the reason for the rear wheels not being centered but we're about 30 years to late to ask him.

Comment

The front fenders on the 38 and 9 are shorter than the earlier cars due to the cab being slid forward to make the bed bigger. The back of the later fenders is sort of nipped off and bent down to make them fit.

The centering of the hole in the rear fender does not bother me (and I am an Architect who is picky about visual stuff.)

My thought is that folks will rarely ever see it straight on from the side which is where i has to be, to be seen.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

So, I came across an interesting find. There is a 37 Commander for sale near me. Interesting in that it's REALLY near me. One block away.
                            Sadly, though, the car was found quite a few years ago lying on its side in a ravine. It's pretty trashed. Essentially a shell. No engine/trans. Interior gone. Dash gone. Not too bad looking in the pictures, but WOW, pretty bad in person. Lots of rot in the body, but focusing on the A pillars and driver side drip rail. Pass side front fender is not completely trashed, while the others are bad. Major dents, in all of them. Hood is in OK shape. Grill has some whamos, but not horrible. Has bumpers. Hump back trunk is fairly rotted. Floors are mostly in decent shape.
                            I'm trying to ascertain whether or not it's worth taking a risk. I don't know any values of any misc parts on these cars. It has a semi rotted tail light, but a good tail light stanchion. Headlight buckets have rust through, but those stanchions are there also.
                            It's $800 for the whole enchilada, but I don't see anywhere near that in return... especially if I steal the parts I need first.
                            Any thoughts?
                            Here it is:
                            sals54

Comment

[QUOTE=t walgamuth;1148609]The front fenders on the 38 and 9 are shorter than the earlier cars due to the cab being slid forward to make the bed bigger. The back of the later fenders is sort of nipped off and bent down to make them fit.

The centering of the hole in the rear fender does not bother me (and I am an Architect who is picky about visual stuff.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190307_160641392.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1725654

Mine isn't perfect but centers the wheel much better for me, I also took some of the sloping @ the rear bottom edge away.....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X