Car In$urance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car In$urance

I have a '56 Sky Hawk, stock, and insured for 25k, and JC Taylor just billed me for $284 plus ten bucks fee, a $40 increase over the previous year. I've only put in one claim years ago for a new windshield and have no tickets or other issues. I got a quote from Hagerty and it was $326. What, other than corporate greed is going on here?
    peter lee

Try Heacock. When I researched for insurance they were the cheapest with the best program for me. I have 3 classics insured with them for less than $400.00 a year.

Comment

I've been with Hagerty for 9 years now and have no complaints. Had one claim a few years ago and it was dealt with flawlessly. Maybe their price is higher because they offer other things, like a quarterly magazine, which I think is a great read. Roadside assistance, digital newsletters etc. These extras are nice but for me it comes down to how they deal with claims. For me it was painless and dealt with quickly.

Comment

I have multiple classic cars (8 or 9) with MK insurance. They write the classic policies using American Modern,. which is owned by Munich Re, a German company that has been in business since 1830, and is one of the 100 largest companies in the world.

Tamra's number & email is at the top of this page: http://www.mkinsuranceagency.com/

Excellent customer service and communication. I have never had a claim, but have talked to guys who have, and all felt like they were treated fairly.

Very flexible. You pick the coverage amount, and send them pics of the car from every angle, along with one of the interior. You can choose a yearly maximum mileage. You can still drive the car to work from time to time, as long as you stay under the yearly mileage. It just can't be your daily driver.

Comment

I too have multiple cars, a 64 R2 Avanti, 63 GT Hawk and a 64 SuperHawk. I too like Heacock as all the cars are registered and titled in Florida though 1 is there and the other 2 in NJ. Heacock is understanding about where cars are stored and where registered. They have been great to deal with. The comment by Lynn is correct as my policies are under the American Modern umbrella

Comment

So far NG with Heacock as the have one of those websites which keeps asking you for the same information no matter how many times you enter it. Then when I was finally able to get a quote it was for a "2020 Studebaker," And and all these years I've believed they went out of business in 1966.I emailed them to inform them of this issue, so we'll see what happens.
            peter lee

Comment

I have three cars insured with Grundy. I've never had to make a claim, so I can't comment on that. On all of these type policies ,it is very important to know if your policy is an "Agreed Value" policy or a "Stated Value" policy. There is a VAST difference between the two. This has been discussed here on the Forum in the past. If you are not aware of the difference, you owe it to yourself to look up the previous discussions, so you understand the difference between the two similar sounding terms.

Comment

Explained here https://www.hagerty.ca/insurance/ins...s-agreed-value, although I believe there is an error in the last sentence.

Comment

I have my three cars insured by Heacock Classics (under American Modern) They are insured for agreed value. Cost me $129/year for all three. I limited myself to 3000/year per vehicle. Just did a wing window claim and it went flawlessly. Hagerty wanted to charge me $800 for similar.
                  51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                  53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                  62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Try Heacock (https://heacockclassic.com/). My Sky Hawk was quoted @ $277/yr.

Comment

We have two cars insured with Grundy, 57 GH for $38K and 67 MGB-GT for $9K, agreed value. Premium is $384/year for both. Have looked into both Heacock and Hartford who is now writing policies for classics, both through American Modern. Unfortunately both have the requirement that each driver needs a daily driver car. My wife and I drive about 6000 miles total for the year between the 3 cars, why would we need yet another car?
                      That requirement is a deal killer for us, Grundy does not have that policy restriction nor does Haggerty.

Comment

"requirement that each driver needs a daily driver car".

No such requirement for Heacock on my Sky Hawk. I went directly through Heacock...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                          "requirement that each driver needs a daily driver car".

No such requirement for Heacock on my Sky Hawk. I went directly through Heacock...
                          You must have a great agent, this is copied from Heacock's site:
                          Driver Eligibility

• All drivers must be at least 25 years of age in order to be covered.
                          • Any driver under 25 years of age will be listed as excluded and will not be covered to drive the collector vehicle.
                          • All drivers must each have a daily use vehicle for daily transportation purposes aside from the collector vehicle.
                          • Applicant must have a personal auto insurance policy listing them as the named insured on a vehicle owned and registered by the applicant in the same state as the collector vehicle.
                          • All drivers/household members must have a good driving history with no more than 1 minor violation/accident in 3-5 years and no major violations within 7-10 years.

Vehicle Usage “The Collector Vehicle Lifestyle”

• The vehicle is always kept in a fully enclosed, locked, and private garage whenever the vehicle is not being driven.
                          • The vehicle is only used for pleasure use and is never used for back-up transportation or errand running.
                          • The vehicle is only driven a limited number of miles per year.
                          • The vehicle is only driven by experienced drivers with a very good driving history.

Comment

The amount one is charged depends on a number of factors, the most important of which is the value that the vehicle(s) is insured for. It costs more to insure a Duesenberg than a Stude Lark. I have had JC Taylor for ~45 years. No claims and no problems. Currently have seven vehicles insured with them for $769 a year.
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

I have had Heacock for about 15 years, no claims, no changes and my renewal just went up more than a hundred bucks. I have taken out a new policy with Hagerty.
                              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X