Which Pertronix for 51 232 12v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pertronix for 51 232 12v

I went to an all Studebaker show today. i was able to speak with a lot of knowledgeable guys. I am still having the stuttering and carb back fire problem under load.It has gotten worse. It was doing when it was cold. Now it does it all the time. It left me stranded today in the middle of an intersection trying to turn left. Lucky it started back up. Most of the guys do not think it is a fuel problem. One observed that the heat riser was stuck. It is balance weight is horizontal and will not move. So I do not know if open or closed. I suspect open since the choke tube gets up to 200 degrees. Another observed that the coil was very hot and leaking oil. He suspected this may be the problem. I put a multi meter on it when I got home. 12.75volts in and 12.75volts out. I am assuming no internal resistor inside and there is not a resistor outside. The car was converted to 12v. The coil has 2.5ohms resistance. I am really thinking of switching over to Pertronix. I have a 1951 232 with Delco 1110822 Distributor. I did the research and Pertronix does not have this distributor listed. Does anyone know which kit is used? Do you guys think the coil could cause the problem?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

I can tell you this: that Heat Riser is Closed.
    When it is not frozen in place/rusted the Hat shaped top part falls forward to horizontal position pointing Forward AFTER the Spring Heats up.

Also any Coil that leaks Oil is shot regardless if it works at times.

For a Pertronix Electronic Ignition system and proper Coil you need to contact Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker for the correct one, the Pertronix people and website is the Last place to look for parts that fit a Studebaker, as they do not know their own stuff! It takes a Studebaker Vendor who sells these EVERY week to get it RIGHT.

You will need to order one for a 1956 Studebaker V8, as the Kit for your Model/Year of the same Delco Dist. would be a Positive Ground 6 Volt Unit that you can not use.

Had you found a Pertronix listed for your year/model (1951) of Delco, it would have smoked on 12 Volts Negative Ground and be non-returnable.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-02-2019, 10:34 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Or just buy a 12 volt Bosch blue coil made for air-cooled VW engines.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Does that have an internal resistor? Do I need one with that coil? I do not have an external resistor.
        62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

As usual, I agree with Rich. Fix the heat riser and replace that defective coil.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Are the heat risers repairable or should I find a replacement? I was reading some other threads and it seems even though I am running a 12v system that I should get a 12v coil with the internal resistor since the engine has the points. Is this true?
            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I have a unit on my 51 Landcruiser that’s only seen a few starts. I’m converting the car back to 6V and will make you a great deal on the Pertronix unit. The previous owner converted to 12V shortly before I bought the car.

Comment

tim333 , PM sent
                62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Working...
                X