Studebaker Avanti A/C belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Avanti A/C belt

Anyone know why the parts books lists two different part numbers for the Avanti with air conditioning?

I have a Dayco p/n from 1970....#447

Thanks for the information

Could be an error. I have found many errors in the parts books. FRUSTRATING to say the least. My guess is the first listing is correct for R1 and the second should say R4 not R1 and R4. But that's just a guess. Try posting this under Tech Talk for a better response.

Comment

Measure around your pullys. My info says the Dayco belt #447 is a 1/2" belt 47 inches long. The AC belt in my Hawk (R1 from Lark) is 56.5 inches long. That's a big disparity.

Comment

Did you read the "Notes"?

My Stude. Vendor Parts Catalog shows the 1694301 (BLT405) (first used on a Truck) for BEFORE Serial 4973 and 1694306 (BLT406) AFTER 4973.

Obviously copied from a Studebaker Parts Catalog.

The Parts Catalog May show a Pulley change at that same Serial #.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well now we know the answer. Many, many items in air conditioning section of my Avanti Parts Catalog show in parenthesis different part numbers for before and after serial 4973. However, this info was omitted for the belt. Another example of proofreading failure.

Comment

HL, The belt Stude #1694301 is 49 1/2" X 1/2" X 38 degrees. A 1/2" V belt can run from 15/32" to 25/64". On that belt I have seen them run from 49 1/4" to 49 3/4".

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Measure around your pullys. My info says the Dayco belt #447 is a 1/2" belt 47 inches long. The AC belt in my Hawk (R1 from Lark) is 56.5 inches long. That's a big disparity.
              I'm sorry my mistake, I was thinking of the wrong belt. My AC belt is 53" long, it's the alternator belt that's 56.5".

Comment

Many thanks gents!
                Some more information.........I was on the phone today with an actual tech guy at Dayco. Very interesting conversation: The Dayco 447 number was a vendor stock number, the actual Dayco p/n is 17490, which is correct as I found a picture on line of the aforementioned belt, and sure enough under that 447 number was the 17490. While I was on the phone the fellow gave me some other useful information.....Gates has two belts that will work on Avantis with a/c: #9490 which has an outside circumference of 49.38 inches, the width is .47, and the length is 49 inches.
                Gates # 9480 has an outside circumference of 48.38, same width, and a length of 48 inches. It was suggested that when a belt is installed the belt tension adjuster should be about in the middle of it's adjustment range. He also said that all belts in time will stretch due to many factors.
                This spring I will get the exact belt now on the car (Gates 9490), which has indeed stretched, as I am at the very end of the tension adjuster travel. Again many thanks to all who responded!

Comment

I always liked the Dayco part numbering system. The first two digits are the belt width in 1/32” increments. The last three digits are the belt length. Thus a 17490 is 17/32” wide and the length is 49.0”. A 15565 would be 15/32” wide and 56.5 inches long.

Comment

Working...
                  X