Placement of C-cab truck side mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placement of C-cab truck side mirror

Have any of you other C-cab owners been bugged by the stock location of the side mirror? It seems you can't see it because the vent window chrome/rubber vertical strip is in the line of sight.

I want to mount mine further back, as in "on the door", but I hesitate to undo the stock appearance too much. Any thoughts?

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
    Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon
    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
    The Red-Headed Amazon

The mirrors would definitely work better if they were mounted on the doors, but for the standard pick-up mirrors, that would definitely be "non-stock". I have found that the driver's side isn't much of an issue in reality (with the stock placement) and for the passenger side I have ordered, but not yet installed, the SI reproduction convex mirror as it may give a wider field of view with the stock mirror placement.

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

The mirrors would definitely work better if they were mounted on the doors, but for the standard pick-up mirrors, that would definitely be "non-stock". I have found that the driver's side isn't much of an issue in reality (with the stock placement) and for the passenger side I have ordered, but not yet installed, the SI reproduction convex mirror as it may give a wider field of view with the stock mirror placement.

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

Just a thought, would a new "rod" that holds the mirror be made with the a bend (or two) that would place the mirror in a more acceptable position fix the problem?

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Just a thought, would a new "rod" that holds the mirror be made with the a bend (or two) that would place the mirror in a more acceptable position fix the problem?

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

I hadn't thought of putting in a longer "rod", Joe. I'll have to look at it. Maybe if that looks like it will work, I can have someone weld in the extra length in the middle, and I'll grind and repaint.

I'm just a bit hesitant about moving the bracket mount back onto the door. I'll not only have to fill three big screw holes on each side, but drill three new ones in each door!

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

I hadn't thought of putting in a longer "rod", Joe. I'll have to look at it. Maybe if that looks like it will work, I can have someone weld in the extra length in the middle, and I'll grind and repaint.

I'm just a bit hesitant about moving the bracket mount back onto the door. I'll not only have to fill three big screw holes on each side, but drill three new ones in each door!

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Just gotta' make sure you can position the mirror head so you don't hit it with the door at maximum opening! [B)]

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

Just gotta' make sure you can position the mirror head so you don't hit it with the door at maximum opening! [B)]

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

quote:It seems you can't see it because the vent window chrome/rubber vertical strip is in the line of sight.
                    Yep, I have the same problem on the Orange truck. But being as my windows are down the majority of the time, it isn't much of a big deal. I did take the pass. side mirror off though, as it wasn't usable to me at all, but then it had a homemade bracket too.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:It seems you can't see it because the vent window chrome/rubber vertical strip is in the line of sight.
                      Yep, I have the same problem on the Orange truck. But being as my windows are down the majority of the time, it isn't much of a big deal. I did take the pass. side mirror off though, as it wasn't usable to me at all, but then it had a homemade bracket too.

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Paul Simpson
                        "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                        The Red-Headed Amazon
                        I can understand not moving the bracket to the door. That is something I personally just would not do.

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Paul Simpson
                          "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                          The Red-Headed Amazon
                          I can understand not moving the bracket to the door. That is something I personally just would not do.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                          X