Head Rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Rest

Hello, I am seeking information on what is needed to adapt the front seats of a 1961 studebaker lark to hold head rests. Was there a particular kind of seat back that was needed, or were all seat backs manufactured with an adapter plate for the head rest?

Does anyone know where I could obtain a set of head rests?

If this makes any difference, I have the split seats that adjust individually (like buckets seats).

Thank you
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Seat backs are different and head rests are extremely rare parts to find.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    57 wagon
    39 Coupe express
    JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      57 wagon
      39 Coupe express
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Any ballpark idea what head rests are worth? I have a nice complete pair I was going to put in my Hawk but never have because I can't get myself to cut the new seat covers.

Lee

Comment

Any ballpark idea what head rests are worth? I have a nice complete pair I was going to put in my Hawk but never have because I can't get myself to cut the new seat covers.

Lee

Comment

I've put in a couple (and yes, they are hard to find!). All that you need to do is tap two holes in the middle of the top of the seat back frame for the mounting holes in the rear of the head rest mounting plate. One of my head rest mounting plates was loose, so I was able to use it as a mounting guide. I rested it in the center of the seat back, made sure it looked right, and Sharpied marks for drilling the holes in the seat frame. After tapping out the holes for some stainless steel mounting screws, cut a small hole in the upholstery (scary) for the head rest post casing. Push the casing through the hole and make sure the mounting plate fits flush. Screw in the screws. Place the head rest post into the casing and adjust it to your liking.

61 Hawk: Head rests go for a pretty penny on Ebay, when any are available. I saw at least one set go for $150. In green!

Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            '60 Lark HT
            '63 Wagonaire
            Scott Rodgers
            Los Angeles
            SDC Member since 1989
            \'60 Lark HT
            \'63 Wagonaire
            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I've put in a couple (and yes, they are hard to find!). All that you need to do is tap two holes in the middle of the top of the seat back frame for the mounting holes in the rear of the head rest mounting plate. One of my head rest mounting plates was loose, so I was able to use it as a mounting guide. I rested it in the center of the seat back, made sure it looked right, and Sharpied marks for drilling the holes in the seat frame. After tapping out the holes for some stainless steel mounting screws, cut a small hole in the upholstery (scary) for the head rest post casing. Push the casing through the hole and make sure the mounting plate fits flush. Screw in the screws. Place the head rest post into the casing and adjust it to your liking.

61 Hawk: Head rests go for a pretty penny on Ebay, when any are available. I saw at least one set go for $150. In green!

Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              '60 Lark HT
              '63 Wagonaire
              Scott Rodgers
              Los Angeles
              SDC Member since 1989
              \'60 Lark HT
              \'63 Wagonaire
              \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

A very rare JDP mistake! The seat backs are identical. It's just a matter of being bold enough to make the necessary cuts and holes. My Wagonaire headrests were installed pst-production. The right one was dealer installed and the left one was owner installed (me).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                Museum R-4 engine
                1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

A very rare JDP mistake! The seat backs are identical. It's just a matter of being bold enough to make the necessary cuts and holes. My Wagonaire headrests were installed pst-production. The right one was dealer installed and the left one was owner installed (me).

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
                  '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
                  '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
                  Museum R-4 engine
                  1962 Gravely Model L (Studebaker-Packard serial plate)
                  1972 Gravely Model 430 (Studebaker name plate, Studebaker Onan engine)
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I am also looking for headrest. Have had no luck, I have a 64 Cruiser, the passenger seat has the bracket in the seat, no headrest. Sure would like to find the brackets for my drivers seat along with the headrest. With this demand, maybe someone could start offering them!

Comment

I am also looking for headrest. Have had no luck, I have a 64 Cruiser, the passenger seat has the bracket in the seat, no headrest. Sure would like to find the brackets for my drivers seat along with the headrest. With this demand, maybe someone could start offering them!

Comment

I've heard that the AMC/Rambler head rests from the same era are the same as the Studebaker ones (althought the shape of the head rest itself may be different). They seem to be just as rare though - I've never been able to find any to confirm if they are the same.

I do know that SASCO doesn't have any in stock. They don't even have the covers for them anymore. I saw a cover loose at the sale during the Int'l meet, but I didn't buy it. It was probably the last one!

There are actually several different variations of the headrest too. All have the same base, but some head rests are mounted on the posts differently. It's not that big of a deal, unless you have two and they don't match.

Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        '60 Lark HT
                        '63 Wagonaire
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I've heard that the AMC/Rambler head rests from the same era are the same as the Studebaker ones (althought the shape of the head rest itself may be different). They seem to be just as rare though - I've never been able to find any to confirm if they are the same.

I do know that SASCO doesn't have any in stock. They don't even have the covers for them anymore. I saw a cover loose at the sale during the Int'l meet, but I didn't buy it. It was probably the last one!

There are actually several different variations of the headrest too. All have the same base, but some head rests are mounted on the posts differently. It's not that big of a deal, unless you have two and they don't match.

Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          '60 Lark HT
                          '63 Wagonaire
                          Scott Rodgers
                          Los Angeles
                          SDC Member since 1989
                          \'60 Lark HT
                          \'63 Wagonaire
                          \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Scott,

Having dealt with both Rammer parts and Studebaker parts - and having spent years scavenging the Pick-a-part yards in the LA area (when there were still scads of Studes and Ramblers passing thru them), I can tell that indeed, the headrests were "basically" the same. They were made by the exact some manufacturer, but they were different in ways that keep them from simply being exchanged. From what I've seen - the earlier ones shared the same head cushion part. Then the cushions changed ever so slightly and then later quite significantly. The adjustable stalk and the mount that that stalk fits into are identical in make-up. The key difference tho - is that those mount tubes are different lengths. This means that the mounts won't swap from one maker's seat back to another.... not without modification anyway.
                            Funny thing about Rammer parts.... you think STUDE guys are frugal! I finally threw away a pair of Rammer headrests because I couldn't sell OR give the things away!

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Scott,

Having dealt with both Rammer parts and Studebaker parts - and having spent years scavenging the Pick-a-part yards in the LA area (when there were still scads of Studes and Ramblers passing thru them), I can tell that indeed, the headrests were "basically" the same. They were made by the exact some manufacturer, but they were different in ways that keep them from simply being exchanged. From what I've seen - the earlier ones shared the same head cushion part. Then the cushions changed ever so slightly and then later quite significantly. The adjustable stalk and the mount that that stalk fits into are identical in make-up. The key difference tho - is that those mount tubes are different lengths. This means that the mounts won't swap from one maker's seat back to another.... not without modification anyway.
                              Funny thing about Rammer parts.... you think STUDE guys are frugal! I finally threw away a pair of Rammer headrests because I couldn't sell OR give the things away!

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X