1950 Champion OD trans into a 1963 6 Cyl Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 1950 Champion OD trans into a 1963 6 Cyl Lark

Is this a possible bolt in once the 6 volt parts are replaced with 12 volt or is it more problems then it's worth?
    Thanks for any info, greatly appreciated.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

The 1950 transmission is going to be a short tail with a saddle yoke, requiring you to have a full new propeller shaft fabricated for installing in the '63. If you could find a long tail transmission it would be a bolt in. Both still need to be T-96 transmissions if behind a six cylinder, or T-86 if installed behind a V-8.
    A friend of mine went the opposite direction and installed a long tail transmission in his '52 Champion; had a one piece propeller shaft with a slip yolk fabricated, eliminating the two-piece propeller shaft and center carrier.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thank you. I knew it was a long shot, but just trying to help out a friend if it was simple. Not looking to reinvent the wheel. Thanks again.
      Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      The 1950 transmission is going to be a short tail with a saddle yoke, requiring you to have a full new propeller shaft fabricated for installing in the '63. If you could find a long tail transmission it would be a bolt in. Both still need to be T-96 transmissions if behind a six cylinder, or T-86 if installed behind a V-8.
      A friend of mine went the opposite direction and installed a long tail transmission in his '52 Champion; had a one piece propeller shaft with a slip yolk fabricated, eliminating the two-piece propeller shaft and center carrier.
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have a long shaft 6 cylinder transmission overdrive with the 12 volt already. Free, come pick it up or if you can wait, I can bring it to March Madness in Phoenix.

Bob Miles
        Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

Can't find a better deal than that. That's what makes this forum great.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Yep, I just gave a door away and shipped it to Australia. Now a trans comes my way for my cousin's Lark.
            Always thought that "Paying it Forward" was just hype, but hey, it sometimes works out.
            A big thank you to Bob Miles.

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Can't find a better deal than that. That's what makes this forum great.
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
            X