Dempsey Motor Car Co, Erlanger, KY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dempsey Motor Car Co, Erlanger, KY

I lived in Northern Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati) for a few years in the 70's and again in the 80's. One of my friends there knew I was into Studebakers and recently sent me some invoices that one of their relatives had saved.

The series starts with Mr. Blankenbaker's purchase of a new 1930 Dictator Eight Sedan (I guess with a name like Blankenbaker he was obligated to purchase a Studebaker )...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	1760014

It was October 18, 1929. He got a $245 allowance on the Oakland he traded in. He opted for the wire wheel option at $12/wheel.

On April 22, 1930 he was back to the dealership to have a fender replaced...

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1760015

Then on July 8th, 1930, he had the carbon cleaned and the head gasket replaced. There is also a line item for 6 1/2 somethings. Any ideas?...

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1760016

On August 23rd, the dealership addressed the rear end noise Mr. Blakenbaker had been complaining about since the car was new...

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1760018

Looks like he treated the car to a wax job while it was down for the rear end. (and another of those line items for 6 1/2 somethings)...

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1760017

On December 11, 1931 he traded in the 30 Dictator for (probably) a new 32. He got a $575 allowance on the trade in...

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1760019

A few days later he had an Arvin Heater installed and antifreeze put in the new car...

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1760020

A neat story. Fun to visualize it happening.

If anyone has a Stude from this dealership or is otherwise familiar with it, PM me and I'll send these to you.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Could the 6 and 1/2 refer to quarts of oil, i.e. an oil change? It almost looks like the word "blue"...maybe a kind of oil? The line above seems to start with "lub..." ?
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Did they have "Sunoco Blue" gasoline in 1930? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My father-in-law was a fan of Royal Triton motor oil which was described as being purple. If it is good enough for Marilyn it is good enough for me! Studebaker-related...I don't know if he ever had one. When he married my mother-in-law he had a REO. I wasn't present!

Visit MarilynMonroeSource.comMarilyn Monroe in a commercial for Royal Triton Oil."www.Ms-Monroe.com" appears on the video to advertise the web site. Ms-Monro...
        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Last winter we were vacationing in Clearwater FLA. I went into a antique store there and asked if they had anything Studebaker. The elderly lady running the shop said no But her daddy worked at a Studebaker dealer in Kentucky in the Thirties. He was paid Ten dollars a week plus commission for each car he sold. As it turned out she had several Studebaker toys , They were nothing spectacular and I pointed them out to her and she was very happy I did , Ed

Comment

The original Rislone oil treatment was blue in color.

Thanks for sharing those, BTW. Interesting reading.

Craig

Comment

The $575 trade-in allowed on the 1930 Studebaker was slightly less than 40% of its $1,445 original price less than 26 months earlier. That seems like high depreciation. Perhaps the dealer used the Depression as an excuse.
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Thanks for posting. It is a unique look, back in time. Labor to change a fender was $1.50, and to pull the head and clean carbon, $10.00. I agree with others here. The 6 1/2 must have been some type of oil.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

1930's Blue Flash Oil Company of West Virginia double-sided porcelain service station sign featuring attendant logo.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

WV is not that far from Cincinnati....could be the missing link...
                    Mike Davis
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                    X