'55 Studebaker Speedster studillac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '55 Studebaker Speedster studillac

Saw this on the website https://classiccarsleftbehind.com/ca...ter-studillac/ ...."for sale" Has a VS57 supercharger but picture indicates it is not operating. Also, don't know what cu in. Caddy is in it. Anyone know this car? Is it on the (SN-60) Registry?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2798.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1759996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2419.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1759997
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

That car looks amazing. I would sure love to know more about its pedigree. Anyone know of this car?
    sals54

Comment

I saw the car at a South Bend May swap meet, and talked with the then-owner several times over the course of a few years. It's a very solid, running and driving car, at least as of a couple of years ago. Virgil Marple purchased the car, and when he and I made contact, he bought the '53 Studillac that I had. Virgil has since passed away, hence the '55 being for sale again. I believe Virgil paid pretty close to the current sale price.

I never learned of any "for sure" history on the car, but it's a very cool, very worthy old hot rod regardless.

BTW, here's the '53 that Virgil bought from me. I know its history back to at least the early 1960's. It's a rusty New York car, and looks exactly the same as it did the day I sold it, complete with gas tank in the trunk. (BTW, the Studillac fender emblems were my uncle's addition, so don't get too excited.)

Last edited by mbstude; 02-02-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

That '55 Speedster will look a WHOLE Lot Better once that ugly Black painted area is put back to White!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Another photo of it in Post #11 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...doors-how-many

Craig

Comment

I'd say the caddy motor is at least a 53 model since it has power steering but if it was built in period it would likely be a 55 or 56 motor.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              I'd say the caddy motor is at least a 53 model since it has power steering but if it was built in period it would likely be a 55 or 56 motor.
              Cadillac had P/S beginning in 1952, Chrysler was the first to have it in 1951.

Comment

The power steering has to go to a power box, so there's that. Studebaker first offered it in 53. After the mechanical power steering didn't pan out.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Just wondering if the hood treatment was necessary? Why couldn't an offset air cleaner have been used? Or maybe someone just liked the look.

Comment

The pass. side bulge was used to clear the supercharger. The driver side bulge was used to balance out the look of the hood. 57 and 58 hawks had a center bulge on the hood to clear the supercharger.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      (BTW, the Studillac fender emblems were my uncle's addition, so don't get too excited.)
                      Does anyone know how many true Studillacs were built and how many remain?

They were pretty cool, sort of like the Shelby built AC/Ford/Cobras.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                        Just wondering if the hood treatment was necessary? Why couldn't an offset air cleaner have been used? Or maybe someone just liked the look.
                        The pass. side bulge was used to clear the supercharger. The driver side bulge was used to balance out the look of the hood. 57 and 58 hawks had a center bulge on the hood to clear the supercharger.
                        I sort of liked the car, based upon photos from a distance, but then someone linked this:

Your opinions may vary, but IMHO, those two side scoops are ugly on a stick; just not anything I could live with. The center scoop is most likely from a '55-57 Thunderbird and only a bit taller than that used on the '56 Hawks.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          I sort of liked the car, based upon photos from a distance, but then someone linked this:

Your opinions may vary, but IMHO, those two side scoops are ugly on a stick; just not anything I could live with.

The center scoop is most likely from a '55-57 Thunderbird and only a bit taller than that used on the '56 Hawks.

jack vines
                          The T-Bird scoop is made as part of the hood, so it would have had to be cut off. The grille and blockoff plate were available by themselves.

I don't know if Studillacs were production cars like the Shelby's were. Shelby bought Mustang's from Ford, then converted them into GT350 & 500's.

Click on pic to enlarge it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190204141207FD-9463.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1725188

Comment

Besides another Studebaker in front of it, there appears to be a 1990 Avanti in the same garage.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                              The T-Bird scoop is made as part of the hood, so it would have had to be cut off. The grille and blockoff plate were available by themselves.

I don't know if Studillacs were production cars like the Shelby's were. Shelby bought Mustang's from Ford, then converted them into GT350 & 500's.

Click on pic to enlarge it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78478[/ATTACH]
                              Not quite the same. Bill Frick bought new Studebakers from dealers, not directly from Studebaker, and also converted cars brought in by customers.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X