Shipping mounted tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping mounted tires

I bought a set of two wheels and tires from the west coast and need them shipped back to Ohio. Has anybody done this and know the best and most economical way to get them shipped?

Tires on wheels are relatively heavy, but can be shipped without packaging, unless your wheels are precious and you don't want them nicked or scratched.
    UPS and FedEx only require a shipping label be securely attached.
    Cheapest method would probably be by Greyhound Express, but they need to be taken to a Bus station and picked up at a bus station.
    Someone mentioned earlier that Fastenal may be a source for cheap shipping. I've never explored that.
    No doubt there will be some more definite ideas posted shortly.
    I guess shipping destination in Ohio would be , , .
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I bought a set of four wheels and tires for an F150. They came with a circle of cardboard on each side and wrapped in the cellophane wrapping material common today.
      All arrived in great condition by Fedex.

Comment

Try Greyhound, I have often use them to ship transmissions.
        Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Fastenal will ship for you to your nearest Fastenal store and you will need to pick them up there. The shipper will have to deliver them to their nearest store and have them packaged or palleted. After Fastenal gets them they will ship them through their network to get them to your destination store. At least that's how I remember them telling me how they do it. Bill

Comment

I used Fastenal for shipping (steel tubing banded to strong wood skid) from middle of IL to Green Bay WI. The pricing / delivery was in the ball park. Sherm /Green Bay (temp w/o wind chill is -10 and going deeper with high winds expected to last all night)

Comment

Hummm..., the Fastenal store nearest me has a sign on the door that states that they have a $50 minimum and if that isn't applicable to you don't bother coming in. Maybe this is a new business model?
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

$50 sounds pretty modest for shipping two mounted tires. If you bundle them together, they could easily fit on a pallet with other shipped items. Perhaps Fastenal would ship for about $50 if they were prepped. Its worth a shot. I can't imagine even Greyhound costing less than that. Either way, you'll have to go pick them up. I've shipped both ways with success. You can go online and do a shipping quote from all these sources to find the best deal.
                sals54

Comment

I had a PERFECT '56 Hawk hood Shipped through Fastenal....properly crated. When I got it, it was all smashed in!...

Comment

Well I ran into the same thing in Green Bay (several months after I had my steel shipment for them), they would NOT sell me anything as a private walk in customer. When I was in local industry no problem, they ran my piddle cash sales as a company misc. purchase. As it was explained to me the rules have changed....I would need to register, yearly spend a specific dollar amount (I do not remember what the amount was, at this point I was thinking where else could I get my supplies?) and there was a minimum over the counter cash charge per transaction. Then it got better....I was told that in the near future most places would not be selling fastener hardware for automotive/truck applications due to legal actions for miss-applied fasteners causing accidents and thus big dollar judgments against the supply chain folks looking for deep pockets. I have been told this from several places and I do not know if this is true, an urban legend, or the leading edge of legislation to come from non fly over states. To get my *%#@ metric bolt I had to make a visit to the local GM dealer (across to street from the Dodge dealer [owned by the same folks who own the GM place along with several other import brands]) and buy a factory specific piece of hardware. Is 1984 here? Sherm / Green Bay

Comment

Originally posted by firestoper 25 View Post
                      To get my *%#@ metric bolt I had to make a visit to the local GM dealer ... and buy a factory specific piece of hardware.
                      Bolt Depot comes to mind as an alternative. You can order as little as one piece on line.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks rockne10, I have them now listed as a favorite. I am somewhat old school and I do not like being forced to move my shopping out of town to the net. Another good place to get grade 8 is.....Caterpillar! I was the engine division Chief Engineer for 10 GREAT years in the 80's. I still drip Cat yellow blood (the good old bright construction fully leaded yellow). Sherm/Green Bay

Comment

I was going to suggest Greyhound, but since someone else did so, I won't.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            $50 sounds pretty modest for shipping two mounted tires. If you bundle them together, they could easily fit on a pallet with other shipped items. Perhaps Fastenal would ship for about $50 if they were prepped. Its worth a shot. I can't imagine even Greyhound costing less than that. Either way, you'll have to go pick them up. I've shipped both ways with success. You can go online and do a shipping quote from all these sources to find the best deal.
                            To clarify it wasn't for shipping tires, it was to purchase ANYTHING. I was looking for two reverse thread bolts, went to the store and the sign on the door basically said if you aren't buying $50 worth don't bother them.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

A quote from UPS was $133 each. That’s just not going to happen. Is there anybody in the San Francisco area that is going to South Bend in May?

Comment

Working...
                              X