Avanti R1 289 production numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R1 289 production numbers

I just read a statement of fact that there were about 3000 '63 Avantis & 800 '64s. Would the Avanti Jet Thrust engine production coincide with the car production numbers. In other words were only 800 engines built ? Thanks

No because only "R" and "RS" Engines went into Avantis, that is not counting how many Lark Type and Hawks were built with Jet Thrust and Super Jet Thrust Engines, PLUS Replacement Warehouse Stock would have also been built.

Also these are not "Facts", those numbers are not correct.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for the info. The engine in question is stamped JTJ311. The info provided was that this was a '64 Avanti engine. Where would an R or RS designation be located?

Comment

With a "JT" prefix this is a Lark-type or Hawk R1 engine, not Avanti. The"J311" part makes it a '64 R1 engine. That second "J" is the month of production (September) and the "311" is the date code (1963, 11th). So, this engine was built on the 11th of September, 1963.
        Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter
        Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 01-27-2019, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by rbruner View Post
            I just read a statement of fact that there were about 3000 '63 Avantis & 800 '64s. Would the Avanti Jet Thrust engine production coincide with the car production numbers. In other words were only 800 engines built ? Thanks
            Actually, approximately 3800 '63 Avantis were built.
            Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
            jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

The reason I ask these questions is that I was led to believe by the engine builder that I have an Avanti engine when in fact, I do not. Trust but verify!

Comment

They ARE the same, except the Engine Serial Number stamping and very few details if they are still there, like the Avanti only Ignition shielding, and Water Manifold.
                But if it is going in a Valuable Avanti, that could be a problem.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  They ARE the same, except the Engine Serial Number stamping and very few details if they are still there, like the Avanti only Ignition shielding, and Water Manifold.
                  But if it is going in a Valuable Avanti, that could be a problem.
                  If the Avanti ignition shielding, and water manifold, are installed. How significant is the difference, in Show points, and dollar value?

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                    If the Avanti ignition shielding, and water manifold, are installed. How significant is the difference, in Show points, and dollar value?

Mark
                    IMO, a couple of show points and a couple of hundred dollars.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with Gary. If it were a driver quality Avanti, maybe no difference in price.
                      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                      50 Champion 2 door*
                      53 Commander K Auto*
                      53 Commander K overdrive*
                      55 President Speedster
                      62 GT 4Speed*
                      63 Avanti R1*
                      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...