Repli-cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repli-cars

If you read Hemmings Motor News you'll see a section of replicars of all kinds. My question is why has no one created one based on the iconic Starliner of '53, or a bullet-nose? I think that electric power and modern components would be terrific. What about you?
    peter lee

I imagine such a vehicle would be cool, but costly. Either model you mentioned would probably be popular and if you could choose the power train and other components the end result would be a nice looking car with a totally personal touch.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

A rather simple explanation would be that good business acumen results in someone producing a product that fills a significant demand. History is full of "Hits & Misses," in that regard. When it comes to automobiles, the name Shay comes to mind as they built some Ford Model A replicas and Thunderbirds. They were quite successful to a degree, and others have produced a few early style (53-54?) Vettes and a few early-type Thunderbirds have been replicated. However, I know of none that I would call a roaring success (including Shay) as a business venture.

Doing so with any Studebaker (in my opinion) would be a financial boondoggle. Except in our little corner of SDC vintage auto world...I know of little public demand for anything Studebaker related enough to justify such financial risks. If you think about it, even though they managed to hang on for decades, the Avanti financially struggled and limped along 'till the bitter end. One could argue that all post Studebaker Avanti produced cars are "replicas."

Someone more educated than I in such matters could enlighten us, but I'm not sure if Avanti ever managed as a "self-sustaining" enterprise purely by generating operational expenses from profits. Instead, I believe it always required money infused from outside investments and buyouts, etc.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Not a problem! Just call Class Glass Performance and buy one of their fiberglass '53 Studebaker bodies, then pick up a wrecked Tesla. Some assembly required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1953_studebaker_classglassperformance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1725016
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

All it takes is money.....
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

To provide a accurate answer to your question regarding the profitability of the Various Avanti corporate entities one would have to have access to the financial records to determine profit and loss. Since theses were not publicly held companies there is not any public record of this data that I know of. However I think it would be safe to assume that the Avanti Motors Corporation with Nate and later Arnold Altman at the helm was profitable during the 1965 to 1982 time span. However when Stephen Blake purchased the firm in October of 1982 he was unable to keep the firm profitable and Avanti entered bankruptcy in February of 1986. Michael Kelly headed the firm that bought the assets in the bankruptcy sale has in 1987 and after moving the firm to Ohio, John Cafaro emerged as the CEO however production was halted in 1991 so one can assume that the the firm was not able to generate enough profits to keep the doors open. The vary limited production and final shut down after Michael Kelly reaquired the rights to Avanti would also lead one to believe the firm was not profitable.
            Others maybe able to provide a better or more complete answer but I believe that after the Altman lead time span your assumption is correct however from 1965 to 1982 I believe the firm was self sustaining and profitable for most years.

Comment

I'm not sure how replicars fall into the 'safety equipped ' category. New cars have goverment mandates such as crumple zones, air bags, etc, that might be too hard to engineer into a 50s body style. If I remember correctly, I believe that the Viper was discontinued because it couldn't meet the new safety specs.
              Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Carmakers producing less than 325 units yearly are exempt from federal regulations. Someone just bought up all of the DeLorian parts stock for pennies on the dollar and is going to start making them again on this basis. Sound familiar? I heard that Nate Altman was making 5000.00 profit average on 300 units a year, as long as the parts he bought for pennies on the dollar held out. That's one and a half
                million bucks in 1960s and 1970s dollars, or close to ten million today. Not too shabby.

JT

Comment

With real Studebakers being affordable, I suppose there is no need for replica variants. But if I were to choose a model of Studebaker to pattern a replica from, it would be a 1953 Starliner. A manufacturer of such a replica could offer a choice of 1953-54 front styling, 1955 front styling, or 1956-61 Hawk front styling.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

There was a thread a few days ago about recreating the prototype Septre. I would put that original body on a modern chassis and drivetrain. I'm doubt that there would be a large sales base, but maybe 325 units a year. Of course with no existing parts to use, the cost would most likely be prohibitive.
                    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

They do make a Repli-car of the bullet nose but it's called a golf cart. Or you could bite the bullet and go with one of these.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Love that Cannon car pic at Woodburn Dragstrip. We have several shots of our Studes racing on the same track!

Regarding a Stude repli-car-- Just do what car guys have been doing since the invention of them. Build it YOURSELF!

Comment

Recently, there was an Avanti on a Leaf (electric car) chassis for sale on eBay.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I owned a Studemino. It was a Cherolet El Camino with a fiberglass bullet-nosw front clip. The back fenders (also fiberglass) were duplicates of the 1947-1952 Studebaker rear fenders. They were glued on.
                            It was fun and comfortable to drive. In fact I drove it from Daytona (where I bought it at the Turkey Rod Run) to our home in the extreme North Georgia mountains without any of the usual pain I have when making that drive.
                            I immediately had seller's regret after selling it, but not nears as much as my grandson. I had an agreement made to buy another one, but the seller got a higher offer an hour or so later and sold it. So much for a person's word.
                            I know the Studemino doesn't fit the description of a new duplication, but it was a fine-looking car which we enjoyed.

Comment

Studemino

Sam's old Studemino now mine...........

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                              I owned a Studemino. It was a Cherolet El Camino with a fiberglass bullet-nosw front clip. The back fenders (also fiberglass) were duplicates of the 1947-1952 Studebaker rear fenders. They were glued on.
                              It was fun and comfortable to drive. In fact I drove it from Daytona (where I bought it at the Turkey Rod Run) to our home in the extreme North Georgia mountains without any of the usual pain I have when making that drive.
                              I immediately had seller's regret after selling it, but not nears as much as my grandson. I had an agreement made to buy another one, but the seller got a higher offer an hour or so later and sold it. So much for a person's word.
                              I know the Studemino doesn't fit the description of a new duplication, but it was a fine-looking car which we enjoyed.
                              Attached Files
                              Jack White
                              Charlotte,NC
                              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                              X