Repainting the Champ and strange bed clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting the Champ and strange bed clamps

Last week I started stripping Laura's Champ. It had issues under the primer and needed work on the doors. The left door got a new lower panel and the right door got a new skin.I needed to move the bed back and look at the front clamps I found. The truck is just getting a paint job and not a restoration , EdClick image for larger version

Name:	20190117_090204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1759950Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_090621.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1759951Click image for larger version

Name:	20190108_142915.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1759952Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_154024.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1759953Click image for larger version

Name:	20190117_164719_Burst01.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1759954Click image for larger version

Name:	20190118_164451.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1759955

Were the clamps clamping something or had they just been dropped into the space between the box and the cab sometime in the truck's life?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Front Clamps?
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Front Clamps?
        I agree with you here. They look like common C-clamps to me. Possibly, they were clamping something in the front (of the bed). At this point, I think that they were just dropped down in that slot at some point.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Lookin' good Mr. Jones! I think those clamps are the optional "C" Cab front bed clamps.
          JS
          Last edited by LarkTruck; 01-20-2019, 05:43 AM.
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

The clamps were holding the front of the bed to the frame . They did a good job as we put about 3000 miles on it since we got it , Ed
            Last edited by jts359; 01-19-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I love C Clamps and think they are one of the most valuable tools ever invented. However, no matter how good the quality, I don't think I would use them to hold a truck bed even if they were welded! Besides...the actual factory clamps were much more simple and effective. Of course, it is possible that a previous owner had been doing some work...got distracted, and forgot. Poor guy could still be wondering where his C clamps are???
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The truck was painted in the 70's and parked in 1983 with a bad engine. Laura and I purchased it from his Widow three years ago , Does anyone have a pair of the original front clamps for sale ?, They are the same for C and T cabs I'm told , Ed

Comment

I believe those tools are called 'Champ Clamps'.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The Champs had kind of an odd ball bolt/ clamping method originally to hold the box to the frame. They probably lost them..... not much else fits in there.

Comment

I like what you've repaired. Always good to see a well used Stude getting some attention.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Check the metal attach points that are spot welded tothe underside of the bed. I took my bed off and was able to pull two of them off by hand. Guess the spot welder was having a bad day.

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                          The truck was painted in the 70's and parked in 1983 with a bad engine. Laura and I purchased it from his Widow three years ago , Does anyone have a pair of the original front clamps for sale ?, They are the same for C and T cabs I'm told , Ed
                          Was your truck from NJ? Was it a six cylinder that had received a V8?
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                            Saw some on a nail in my shop. Takes 2 in the front. I think the rear is bolted. PM for info.

Comment

Diesel Jim a P.M. was sent , Gary the truck was sold new in Newton N.J. to a Antique store in that area. And as far as I know its been here all its life. Its a six and will probably stay that way although I have started collecting parts to make it a 185 OHV . the trans is a 3 spd O.D. Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X