PDA

View Full Version : 1963 Wagonaire article

rkapteyn
01-19-2019, 12:17 PM
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/studebaker-lark-wagonaire-first-crossover/

Milaca
01-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Thanks for sharing the article, Robert.
Too bad the author makes a false claim that Studebaker filed bankruptcy in the late 1960's.
I would like to see a rear sliding roof available on the GM Suburban and/or the Ford Expedition. I think it would make them much more useful.

Dick Steinkamp
01-19-2019, 02:49 PM
That's Malcom Berry's beautiful R2 Wagonaire. Those same pictures ran in an article specifically about his car several years ago. It's a shame they didn't identify the owner in this article. That's the Cincinnati train station in the background. Malcom also has a very fast, Stude powered Avanti and a 37CE.

studegary
01-19-2019, 04:43 PM
That is a very nice article on Wagonaires except for the erroneous statement that Studebaker went bankrupt in the 1960s. I wrote to them to inform them of this misstatement. It would probably help if they heard from others besides me.

StudeRich
01-19-2019, 06:44 PM
Talking about Studebaker not the Industry, they mistakenly say that the Sliding Roof Feature would be abandoned altogether in '66:

"and Studebaker would build the two Wagonaire versions essentially concurrently through ’66, when the retractable feature disappeared completely."

No not really, the CARS disappeared completely! :rolleyes:

studegary
01-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Talking about Studebaker not the Industry, they mistakenly say that the Sliding Roof Feature would be abandoned altogether in '66:

"and Studebaker would build the two Wagonaire versions essentially concurrently through ’66, when the retractable feature disappeared completely."

No not really, the CARS disappeared completely! :rolleyes:

Yes, "really". The sliding roof just "disappeared" concurrently with the rest of car production. Just semantics and one's interpretation.

StudeRich
01-19-2019, 07:03 PM
As I said, for THAT conclusion to make sense, you would have to be talking about the Sliding Roofs disappearing completely from the Auto Industry, and they were talking about Studebaker, not the Industry.

As though Studebaker continued after '66, but the Sliders did not.

Which relates to the statement that the Co. went Bankrupt sometime in the Late 1960's:

"Studebaker, which would close its South Bend factories by the end of 1963, move its operations to Canada, and then play out the string outsourcing motors and dressing up aging designs until the company’s bankruptcy before the end of the decade."

Milaca
01-19-2019, 07:29 PM
The sliding roof only disappears when it is slid forward, yet it is still there. It is Studebaker magic!

brngarage
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM
There is a link to the earlier article referred to by Dick Steinkamp, buried in the current article. Interesting reading.

Silverplate
01-20-2019, 09:49 AM
The original article was very nice and it does not get any better than Malcolm, great guy.