Stange Champ VIN plate attachment...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stange Champ VIN plate attachment...

Some years ago I asked a question about a VIN plate on a Champ that was exported. The plate had two screws in the middle holding it to the B-pillar and that was said to be how it was done for export trucks. Photo below:

Domestic Champs had a number of spot welds that held the plate on the B-pillar. A 7E7 plate below:

So back during the summer, a good Studebaker friend in PA was trying to save as many vehicles from a Studebaker bone yard that was being cleared out and came across this 7E12.

Did not think anything about the photo of the VIN plate attached to the B-pillar until I was sent the body tag and VIN plate a couple weeks back.

Plate had two screws in the middle and then four "nails" in the corners. These are the same type of little nails that were used to hold the ends of the cowl rubber to the body.

Wonder if this truck was originally on the books to be exported and then ended up being diverted for domestic sales?

Everything that was still useable on the truck was rescued - unfortunately PA winters were not very nice to the old girl...

Both my 7E and 8E Champs have the VIN plate attached to the B pillar with very small tack welds in the corners. The 2 holes in the center are unused. Now here's some food for thought. On the A pillar between upper hinge and dome light switch there are two unused holes the same distance apart as the 2 unused holes on the VIN plate.

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
      Both my 7E and 8E Champs have the VIN plate attached to the B pillar with very small tack welds in the corners. The 2 holes in the center are unused. Now here's some food for thought. On the A pillar between upper hinge and dome light switch there are two unused holes the same distance apart as the 2 unused holes on the VIN plate.
      That is because the Champ and Lark A-pillars are the same and the Lark has its Serial Number plate attached there.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by rbisacca View Post
        /Cut/On the A pillar between upper hinge and dome light switch there are two unused holes the same distance apart as the 2 unused holes on the VIN plate.
        Your Champ has Dome Light DOOR Switches? Someone must have added those. Trucks do not get those!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Your Champ has Dome Light DOOR Switches? Someone must have added those. Trucks do not get those!
          Wow, it seems you're right. I was under the impression that the T-6 did. I checked my parts book and while it shows door switches for the C-cab none are listed for the T-cab. Many years ago when I purchased my first T-4 Champ I added the dome light and of course door switches. It's nice to have the light go on when the door is opened. So now I know that when someone purchased a Champ and opted to spend extra on a T-6 they got a dome light that needs to be turned on manually. Guess Studebaker saved about 37 cents per truck!

I also checked the shop manual. "Wiring Diagram-After 4E Series 1/2 and 3/4 Ton". This appears to just be a Lark diagram. It shows such non-truck items as: backup lamp switch; both front and rear door switches; ignition switch light-Regal models. Guess Studebaker saved another few cents by not printing a separate truck diagram.

Comment

A very minor nitpick for historical accuracy: SOME trucks DID get door post switches for interior lights. All 2R and 3R-series trucks had door post map light switches. Have owned two 3R trucks and both had them.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

My memory is pretty foggy (I'm talking 1970), but I installed dome light door switches on my 8E Champ and I think it was pretty simple. I used Lark switches and I think there were already holes in the door jambs. I also added backup lights from a '61 Lark. I think that was pretty simple too, but I had a Powershift tranny in the truck so it already accommodated a backup light hookup (as I remember).
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                I also added backup lights from a '61 Lark. I think that was pretty simple too, but I had a Powershift tranny in the truck so it already accommodated a backup light hookup (as I remember).
                The column shifted Champs also had the back-up light switch holes still there as well - Lark/Hawk back-up light switch easily could be added. A lot of plug-n-play between the different platforms...

Comment

Skip Lackie is correct, I have had several of the t cabs, all of them had the door post interior light switches.....Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                    Skip Lackie is correct, I have had several of the t cabs, all of them had the door post interior light switches.....Keep on Studebakering
                    Wouldn't that be C cabs and not T cabs to agree with Skip?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X