Microwave ignition, savior of ICE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave ignition, savior of ICE?

As more naysayers try to start the funeral for ICE (internal combustion engines) another solution comes along.

Now there is a scheme to use microwaves to ignite.

The best part, it looks to be something that can be retrofitted to veteran engine designs.

Ken Buchanan

Very interesting. I wonder if efficiency is affected by different fuels. I'll be curious to see how this new technology progresses in the near future. Thanks for sharing this, Ken.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Interesting. I wonder though if this isn't something like the Rotary Engine technology? It looked great on paper and in testing. However wasn't practical in the real world. Sounds great though. I just hope they don't make it mandatory here in Soviet California before it has been thoroughly tested. This could be potentially harmful to cast iron engines.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Pity they don't have any text you can, you know, read. Assuming it's vaporware.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
          Pity they don't have any text you can, you know, read. Assuming it's vaporware.
          If you search on Google, there is more info out there...some is even in English but most is in German.

What I find encouraging is that it is designed to work through existing spark plug holes. They even seem to be looking to make it work with distributors as well as without. If it works as claimed, combustion temperatures are notably lower, in return lowering Nox as well as allowing a far leaner mixture since the entire chamber is fired in one shot, not having to get a flame front to progress across from ignition source allowing for far less ignition lead. As for iron vs aluminum engines, I don't see how it would matter although it may allow for cast aluminum exhaust headers being reliable.

Don't get me wrong, I am somewhat cautious. Why? Well I have had 3 Pertronix ignitors fail within the last year, one on the road coming home from Tacoma just north of Coos Bay Or.

Ken Buchanan

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
            IDon't get me wrong, I am somewhat cautious. Why? Well I have had 3 Pertronix ignitors fail within the last year, one on the road coming home from Tacoma just north of Coos Bay Or.

Ken Buchanan

This is my point about the Wankel engine. It was promising on paper and in testing. However in the real world it just didn't work. I'm not enough of an engineer or scientist to figure out things on my own. It's just my experience that iron or steel don't work well with microwaves. Also, I'm very suspicious about anything coming out of the E.U. at this time.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

We will just have to wait. Lots of things look good in the lab, but are not practical in real world conditions. I will, as always, let someone else buy the new stuff and try it first. The Vega engine with aluminum cylinders was extensively tested and still failed.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

This is my point about the Wankel engine. It was promising on paper and in testing. However in the real world it just didn't work. I'm not enough of an engineer or scientist to figure out things on my own. It's just my experience that iron or steel don't work well with microwaves. Also, I'm very suspicious about anything coming out of the E.U. at this time.
                Actually Ron, the problem isn't between iron or other ferrous metals and microwaves, microwaves are reflected by all metals including aluminum. Microwaves are what make RADAR work. In this case the microwave is emitted in a series of instantaneous blasts, too short to cause heating of the metal but long enough to spur combustion.

As for the failings of the Wankel, that had more to do with materials available for the apex seals. That has been resolved but oddly enough, this new development could help with emissions on the Wankel as well. These were never easy to deal with.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  We will just have to wait. Lots of things look good in the lab, but are not practical in real world conditions. I will, as always, let someone else buy the new stuff and try it first. The Vega engine with aluminum cylinders was extensively tested and still failed.
                  Howard,

Let's not forget the era in Detroit, Q/C was not priority #1 along with a lot of animosity between management, engineering and the labour force. In the years since, Nikasil has been used in the entire industry to great success, it just requires Q/C that manufacturers weren't ready to implement.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X